Getting into MF

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am interested in getting a MF camera and shooting 6x6......what would be a good used camera to start with?

ok thanks, are there any that are not TLR's that are good......just want to explore more options

Hmm. Well, I use a Bronica ETRS, which is a 6x4.5. I've never used one, but I bet the Bronica SQ would be a good choice. It's a 6x6.

Rolleicords are real nice. The Yashica can be had for a fair bit cheaper. I've seen them go on ebay for $60.

I started with a Mamiya M645 1000S, then upgraded to the RB67 and Bronica ETRSI. I love them all as they allow me to take fantastic images.

If you want a fairly cheap, good quality SLR, have a look at Bronica's SQ-B, SQ-A, SQ-Ai (they all shoot 6x6). If you have more money and want very good lenses, have a look at Hasselblad. As for as rangefinders go, have a lok at the Mamiya 6. It is the only rangefinder that shoots 6x6 as far as I am aware.

I'm partial to Bronica's only because i have one, but I love it and would not trade it for anything. I have an SQ or an SQ-A model and with the different backs that you can get, I can shoot 6x4.5, 6x6, 35mm and also with polaroids. It gives me lots of flexability.
It's the poor mans Hassablad, the only difference really being the name brand.

thanks for all the responses guys! Once I get a scanner to scan it I will definitely get into MF....the rangefinder seems interesting and I will look at the Bronicas too.

ok I know have some money to spend and still want to get into Med. Format.

my first question is what is the big difference (if there is any) between TLR's and Slr's? other than the number of lenses

Most reactions

Back