Getting IR Shots

TommiP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bt-photography.com
Hi there I have a Hoya R72 IR Filter for my Nikon D50 and was wondering what are the best settings for getting good IR shots.

Tested it out but only getting red in the pictures?

Can Anyone help me out?

are you shooting in RAW?..... your images will be red unless you use a custom white balance..... or change the white balance using RAW software.

I have tryed changing the white balance from one extrem to another and variations in between, also shooting in raw now but still coming out very red.

when you took those shots you posted of the sand etc, what white balance leval did you use? or did you make some alterations in PS?

I used a custom white balance set to a sunny patch of grass...... you can set your own wb in the D50.... so you could try that (do a google search for IR settings and you should find plenty of info)....
Or with your red RAW file..... you need to use a white balence dropper tool to select a white area of the pic (like a leaf of area of grass) before importing it to photoshop.

I usually capture the shot at F16 or higher.... quite often F22.... and expose for 6-8 seconds.... so a tripod is essential.

archangel, why do you shoot at f22 for infrared? is that so you can increase exposure time, dof or for some other reason?

mainly for focus reasons..... at F22 you should get a nice clear shot....(because of the dof).... but at a low F number you run the risk of the IR lightwaves putting your focus out.
Some prime lenses have a dot on the focus ring especially for focusing with IR (so you can focus the shot, turn off auto focus, attach the filter, and then adjust the focus ring to compensate for the IR lightwaves.)...... This should ensure your shot is in focus too when you press the shutter..... but i just prefer to shoot at a high F number just in case.

It also does give you a longer exposure time.... which can be fun and add interest to the shot. The only time i would reduce the F number is either when its really cloudy and dull...... or if your attempting an IR portrait, or something which requires a faster shutter speed.

Most reactions

Back