Getting Models for your photos

nychaimages

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just started to charge people for shoots but I’m having a slight dilemma. I can’t find anyone to shoot!
Has anyone ever been in this position?
What are the best ways to find models and people willing to do photoshoots?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Hey everyone, I just started to charge people for shoots but I’m having a slight dilemma. I can’t find anyone to shoot!
You could try a search on Model Mayhem, or run an ad on your local bulletin board.

Instead of charging with no portfolio, build your portfolio by trading for photos. (TPF) You should get some takers, but they will be poor amateurs who are looking for nice portraits they can use to get more modeling jobs.

I'm kind of in the same boat, although I am too busy with other projects just now to pursue portraiture.

Good luck!

Part of this also depends on what your intentions are. You say you've just started charging people for photo shoots but that you can't "find" anyone. In general if you are starting to charge people should be coming to find you, rather than you going to find people.
So I'm not 100% sure what your intention are, ergo if you're after things like photo projects or if you're after more standard portraits for schools/businesses/families.

Either way one approach is to pay people first, or as said above do trade for prints (ergo where you and others are exchanging services without financial profit, but with the intent that you're all using each others skills to further each other - a model wants photos to show what they can perform, you want photos to show what you can photograph etc....).
If you do trade for prints then expect some give and take, you'll have what you want to make and they'll have ideas on what they want taken so you'll want to find some good middle-ground so that you both get what you are after.

If you pay for the services of a model (and possibly make up and other skills) then you get far more choice and direction.

It's not a bad idea to have some models paid to work for you to show off what you can do, even if your intention is to produce standard portraits for families. A good model knows how to pose themselves and you can get some solid quality photos that show your skill; plus you can easily use them for advertising (whilst a regular family might not agree to their use for promotional purposes).

(short answer) Almost everyone who is just starting out.

Oh, BTW: Working with amateur models, be prepared to run into some flakes. You know; they are strung out and cannot concentrate, some no-shows due to cold feet, or forgot, or someone talked them out of it, or any number of excuses. If you find someone who is punctual, knows how to dress, is not conflicted, and can make the next shoot, then consider yourself lucky. Keep everything professional because the models are evaluating you, too. Do good work, give them good photos, give them good reviews, and they'll come back.

"charge people for shoots" - Unfortunately the business of photography is rapidly disappearing. Cellphone cameras, and the huge volume of advertising for them, are changing what folks want. There is still some wedding work and a bit of portrait work but not much. Most folks these days show pictures to their friends on their cellphone screens not in prints.
Perhaps some money is available for someone willing to be a Personal Paparazzi?

To build a portfolio, Use friends or as has been mentioned use trade for print/files, however, if you're serious about it, as with everything, it will cost and it's better to hire models, Use friends etc to scout locations to shoot and to get comfortable with directing models to get what you want, then when you're happy and confident, spend the money and work with someone who knows what they're doing, the same way that they want to work with someone who knows what they are doing.
The old "You have to spend money to make money" stands, if you're confident and competent and pull together a portfolio you're going to use to get work, then that, for you is an investment as it's something that you will use to bring in business.

Just my 2 cents..

You could try a search on Model Mayhem, or run an ad on your local bulletin board.

Instead of charging with no portfolio, build your portfolio by trading for photos. (TPF) You should get some takers, but they will be poor amateurs who are looking for nice portraits they can use to get more modeling jobs.

I'm kind of in the same boat, although I am too busy with other projects just now to pursue portraiture.

Good luck!

Great advice thanks!

Part of this also depends on what your intentions are. You say you've just started charging people for photo shoots but that you can't "find" anyone. In general if you are starting to charge people should be coming to find you, rather than you going to find people.
So I'm not 100% sure what your intention are, ergo if you're after things like photo projects or if you're after more standard portraits for schools/businesses/families.

Either way one approach is to pay people first, or as said above do trade for prints (ergo where you and others are exchanging services without financial profit, but with the intent that you're all using each others skills to further each other - a model wants photos to show what they can perform, you want photos to show what you can photograph etc....).
If you do trade for prints then expect some give and take, you'll have what you want to make and they'll have ideas on what they want taken so you'll want to find some good middle-ground so that you both get what you are after.

If you pay for the services of a model (and possibly make up and other skills) then you get far more choice and direction.

It's not a bad idea to have some models paid to work for you to show off what you can do, even if your intention is to produce standard portraits for families. A good model knows how to pose themselves and you can get some solid quality photos that show your skill; plus you can easily use them for advertising (whilst a regular family might not agree to their use for promotional purposes).

I didn’t even think of this way. Thank you

To build a portfolio, Use friends or as has been mentioned use trade for print/files, however, if you're serious about it, as with everything, it will cost and it's better to hire models, Use friends etc to scout locations to shoot and to get comfortable with directing models to get what you want, then when you're happy and confident, spend the money and work with someone who knows what they're doing, the same way that they want to work with someone who knows what they are doing.
The old "You have to spend money to make money" stands, if you're confident and competent and pull together a portfolio you're going to use to get work, then that, for you is an investment as it's something that you will use to bring in business.

Just my 2 cents..

This makes perfect sense. I think I will start doing this. Thanks!

"You could try a search on Model Mayhem, (...) "

I am very disappointed in what has become Model Mayhem: arrogant wanabe models, spammy people, boring nudes everywhere...
Am I the one feeling this way?

Most reactions

Back