Getting new DSLR soon..

FWIW I wouldn't go for the D40 OR the 60 if I was you.. There are much better cameras out there for the same or less.

The k-m/k2000 and K200D Pentaxes are both much better for instance. The Canon's are probably a better buy too.

the Nikon budget stuff is over priced, underspecced and uses expensive lenses ( AF motor in lenses are generally more expensive ).

If I was you I'd go for the Pentax K200D if you can afford it Personally.

Alright, I'll look into those models.

Can I get anymore input regarding the Pentax models over the Nikon D40/60? They are outside my 550$ price range, but if it's really worth it I could try and get it.

Keeping in mind that I want to do landscape/cityscape photography, are those Pentax models still better?

Edit: K200D is a no-go. I REFUSE to buy another camera that uses AA batteries. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I'm still for the D40.

Last edited:
Hooey, The D60 is a fantastic camera, and by no means is a slouch when it comes to performance. Also aftermarket makers have a plethora of lenses for both canon and nikon cameras. Tamron and Sigma have some aftermarket pentax lenses though. If you want high quality glass for pentax, pretty much have to go leica, and its gonna cost you. Nikkor lenses are argueably some of the best lenses available. Also if you ever plan to rent lenses, Nikon or Canon is a much better choice.

Other cons to the pentax vs nikon:
Slower FPS rate.
User interface is about as friendly as a root canal.
Only goes to ISO 1600, vs the D60's ISO 3200. (and there is considerably more noise on the pentax, you can view the sample pictures on dpreview)

While the pentax is certainly an option that shouldnt be overlooked, it too has disadvantages so the choice isnt as clear cut as the previous poster would make it seem.

Just bear in mind that once you purchase a camera, you are purchasing into a camera system. So take your time, and pick the camera that fits your needs. Weight your options carefully.

I would highly suggest getting your hands on each of the cameras, and try them all out and see which one you like the best.

STOP

RICH,

First I'd like to say that I have not read this entire post, only the part on the online price you found.

Before you go ordering online, please check them out here first.

Reseller Ratings.com

It sounds like a scam to me, please be careful.

dan

EDIT:Oh, some one beat me to it. But, please check the site out anyway.

Well I have gone to Best Buy and handled the D40 (closely related to D60, so they should feel the same, right? D60's VR lens is only SLIGHTLY longer) and I can say that it's comfortable to hold.

Like I said, Pentax is a no-go, and the extra features that the D60 have are negligible for the kind of photography I want to do.

Thank you for your input, though. :)

Other cons to the pentax vs nikon:
Slower FPS rate.
True but not a biggy, it's so rare it's an issue it's not funny. The ONLY time it may be an issue is motorsport but being brutally honest I've never thought "Damn I wish this thing took more pictures/s" and I often have mine on 'motordrive'

User interface is about as friendly as a root canal.
DPreviewK200DReviewPro said:
Intuitive menus and displays (but slightly dated design)
You what? The Interface is so easy to use on the Pentax it's funny. Brilliantly easy to use. Plus you have features like the green button, Raw button etc. and on the K200D a top panel display. In other words the menu is a pro not a con.

Only goes to ISO 1600, vs the D60's ISO 3200. (and there is considerably more noise on the pentax, you can view the sample pictures on dpreview)
Remember the high ISO noise is because by default the (four levels of) noise reduction are turned off whereas the competition will have it activated.

As for AA's I have to say It's a benefit. I much prefer it as I can guarantee to keep going anywhere there is a store that sells (lithium) AA's. Rechargables last a long time and are swappable between flashes too so only need one charger to keep Flashguns and Camera working.

As for landscape use the Pentax's are awsome as there are some utterly excellent prime lenses available for low price.

I really would look elsewhere than Nikon, if your set on no AA's ( not sure why :/ ) then look at Sony and Canon, neither have the gimped over priced nature of the budget Nikons.

The reason I don't want a camera that uses AA's is because having to buy new AA's all the time will become more expensive than just recharging a battery. I have a friend who's career is working with film and digital cameras, as well as digital video, and he told me that the Canon models that are equivalent to the D40 are not as good. However, I will look at Sony models.

Thanks

How much are you trying to spend Rich? Best Buy also has a promotion on the D200 right now for 600 bucks. You can get a cheap used lens off Craigslist and you'd be good to go.

As for Tripods under 200 bucks - there are several. I would personally go with a Tripod/Tilt-Pan Head or Tripod/Ball-Head. Or if you want to be really covered get a tripod and simply get both heads so that you are covered in all situations: pan-tilt head for precise panning shots, or tracking shots of objects moving in a straight line, and a ball head for versatile camera placement. For 240 you can get (all Manfrotto) the tripod, ball and tilt-pan head on Amazon. Free shipping of course.

The reason I don't want a camera that uses AA's is because having to buy new AA's all the time will become more expensive than just recharging a battery. I have a friend who's career is working with film and digital cameras, as well as digital video, and he told me that the Canon models that are equivalent to the D40 are not as good. However, I will look at Sony models.

Thanks

Umm AA's are available as rechargables and do an excellent job. They use the same technology as a battery pack in a camera so work just as well. The bonus of AA's is you can buy batteries if you suddenly find yourself out of rechargables. I use 2100mah AA Rechargables and the life is excellent, not to mention you can get 2500's with even more life.

My budget is 550$. Every rechargeable AA I've tried didn't work. I'm just going to get the D40-thanks for the help.

My budget is 550$. Every rechargeable AA I've tried didn't work. I'm just going to get the D40-thanks for the help.

Regarding AA's - I'm guessing you were using older style ones. The 'early' Rechargables were indeed horrific. The new ones, however, are excellent and something to look into as no just cameras use them, you'll probably need AA's for your flash gun for example.

Most reactions

Back