Getting new equipment - Need your support on which lens to buy

Bram Turismo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, this is my very first post on this forum.

I've been into photography for a while now, using a Canon G9. However, I grew tired and bored of digital photography with small cameras where you can't see a thing true the viewfinder (That even works only half!).

Therefore, I have decided to buy me a Nikon D80. I've fell in love with the D80 for a long time, but instead of just purchasing it with the standard lenses, I decided to focus more on what lens I should buy, instead of what camera.

I'm already sure it's a D80, so don't try to throw me to the Canon side :greenpbl:. I've found some lenses that are being sold with the D80 here in Norway:

-Sigma 18-125mm
-Sigma 10-20mm
-standard 18-70mm
-18-55mm II VR (standard Nikkor)
-Sigma 17-70mm
-Sigma 18-200mm OS
-16-85mm ED VR
-Sigma 18-50mm
-18-135mm (standard Nikkor)

Many told me that I should buy a lens depending on what type of photography I'm in to. Well, here's a little link to my gallery at a different forum, GTPlanet.net: http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=108306

I've also understood that a lower aperture number should give me a better lens, but instead of that, I'd like to ask you guys just this:

Which of these lenses do you think will be the best purchase with the D80? Which of them give me the best quality and sharpness throughout the whole zoom length?

Thank you,

The lenses you list are not really comparable, since some of them are for totally different fields of application. It makes no sense to decide say between the 10-20mm ultra-wide zoom and the 18-50mm by comparing image quality. First you have to decide what you want to shoot, and what sort of focal length you will need for it. Then you pick the best lens in that range.

So those many others are right ;)

The lenses you list are not really comparable, since some of them are for totally different fields of application. It makes no sense to decide say between the 10-20mm ultra-wide zoom and the 18-50mm by comparing image quality. First you have to decide what you want to shoot, and what sort of focal length you will need for it. Then you pick the best lens in that range.

So those many others are right ;)

Well, you see, that's the thing I can't figure out. You should think it's easy for one to say what kind of photography he or she does, but I can't figure it out. I have to admit I'm a big fan of wide angled photos though. The 10-20mm lens was my first lens that I thought of: "That'll be my second lens".

I guess what I'm looking for is a good overall lens as a first lens to be well equipped for basic all around shooting, both for some wide angle, and some sharp zooming. This left me with 18-200mm OS Sigma lens, which looked very sweet. But othes said it's too slow on the long shot, and others said that the 18-55mm Sigma is a very wise choice.

I never find myself zooming in much, and I tend to shoot objects close rather than zooming in a big chunck to shoot object far away...

18-55mm Sigma vs. 17-70mm Sigma?

zoom and telephoto are not the same

what you mean is, that you will not need very long focal lengths (telephoto lenses).

zoom only refers to the capability to vary the focal length of a lens. the 10-20 does a hell lot of zooming, but it is an ultra wide angle lens ;)

just mentioning this to avoid confusion of terms.

In detail with those lenses I cannot help, since I did own none of them. Someone else has to jump in here! Regarding focal length, both of the two
Sigmas sound all-around lenses, but I am not sure about image quality.

zoom and telephoto are not the same

what you mean is, that you will not need very long focal lengths (telephoto lenses).

zoom only refers to the capability to vary the focal length of a lens. the 10-20 does a hell lot of zooming, but it is an ultra wide angle lens ;)

just mentioning this to avoid confusion of terms.

In detail with those lenses I cannot help, since I did own none of them. Someone else has to jump in here! Regarding focal length, both of the two
Sigmas sound all-around lenses, but I am not sure about image quality.

Well, I've just been reading some reviews about the 18-200, 17-70 and 10-20. None of them really praised the first two, the 18-200 was sharp at the wide end, but quality at the long range was to be desired. The 17-70 was showing signs of this the other way round, low quality at the wide range. The 10-20mm, however, got some good grades. At 20mm it didn't seem wide angled, and around 10-12mm this thing gives shots of the type I'm into, or want to produce...

Right now, I'm thinking of the 18-55mm Sigma, with the 10-20 lens with Christmas or around that period... I really really really want the 10-20mm, but I seem to be afraid of this being a bad choice as a first lens...

How can someone recommend what lens is good for you when YOU do not know what is good for you?

I would suggest you take a step back and think about what YOU want before spending. Then, if you want a 2nd opinion, we could give you a better suggestion as to what would fit your needs.

If you leave the choice of what your needs are in the hands of someone else, I can GUARANTEE that you will not get what is best for you.

How can someone recommend what lens is good for you when YOU do not know what is good for you?

I would suggest you take a step back and think about what YOU want before spending. Then, if you want a 2nd opinion, we could give you a better suggestion as to what would fit your needs.

If you leave the choice of what your needs are in the hands of someone else, I can GUARANTEE that you will not get what is best for you.

Well, how could I possibly know what is best for me when this is my first DSLR, and I've never shopped lenses before, let alone studying them...

well there is the 10-20 for your wide shots which i have shot on and i am a big fan of
thers is also the 18-70 which is the D70s kit lens also i have shot on that a very well built lens the image qulity is about the same between the 18-70 and the 18-55 but the 18-70 has m/a mode and a better focus ring
but you really need to know what type you are looking for before others can help u

All I can say is that I'm a wide angle nut, really, wide angled shots are my kind if thing. The only thing that's holding me back is that I don't know how 20mm is at shooting normal, by that I mean not exagorrated wide agle shots.

I may as well just settle with a Sigma 18-55mm to begin with, but I'm just too much of a wide angle fan to not consider the 10-20 as a first lens...

My recommendation is that start with a mid-range zoom with a f2.8 fixed aperature. The Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 is a great starter lens! Later you can pair this lens with a 80-200 f2.8.

All I can say is that I'm a wide angle nut, really, wide angled shots are my kind if thing. The only thing that's holding me back is that I don't know how 20mm is at shooting normal, by that I mean not exagorrated wide agle shots.

I may as well just settle with a Sigma 18-55mm to begin with, but I'm just too much of a wide angle fan to not consider the 10-20 as a first lens...

Sigma also makes a 20-60mm f2.8 that is significantly cheaper then the 18-55mm. It may be a better choice if you know you're going to be buying a 10-20mm some day.

Well guys, I've made up my mind.

I've read a lot of reviews on the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 lens, and everyone seems to be impressed how sharp and fast it is.

Well, there's where my money's gonna go to, a Nikon D80 with a Sigma 18-50mm lens. I'll more than probably buy the Sigma 10-20mm later this year around Christmas probably, but shooting wide angled already won't keep me sweet out here, I need something with a bigger practicallity range so that's why I chose the 18-50 :)

Thanks for the help though!

The Sigma 18-200mm OS is amazingggg!! I work with it all the time and its great.
Sigma also has really good macro lenses. You should try them out..

Most reactions

Back