Getting Out of the Studio More: C&C!

JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know I know... Make the self portraits stop already. I was bored though so this is what I do when I am bored at the house.

Strobist:
Canon 430EZ shot through softbox, camera right, 1/8 power.

4352686849_08eafddbaa_b.jpg

I finally got out of my "studio" and went riding today and got this picture of Erick. What do you guys think?

Strobist:
Quantaray PZ-1 subject left (duct taped to the top bar of the handrail), 1/8 power

4356070248_243d9a70d8_b.jpg

Something I shot real quick while we were hanging out at the shop. Lots of glare everywhere :( I removed a lot of it. I think?

View on Black

Strobist:
Quantaray PZ-1 camera right, 1/4 power.

4360464711_61142e417d.jpg

Last edited:
i'm exhausted and eye's af interpretor doens't work well but #1 and #2 seemed to be a bit over exposed. so 1/8 power is at what iso, shutter and aperture? :) I hope you see that 1/8 (number) only means something to you but to reader who doesn't know the exif, distance b/n light and subject, etc , it might as well be full power or 1/32power :)

otherwise BETTER. in #1, a little less head tilt and turn (body and head )TOWARDS the light.

Excellent exposure control in shot 1---you've now achieved a decent lighting "quality". You have shadows, decent highlight detail, and a source that is diffused enough so that the shadows are moderately hard, but not too hard. The lighting shows shape and form,and is pretty good for a single speedlight.

I think #2 is well-balanced flash fill. Pretty much the perfect amount of fill flash for the ambient light and the exposure you gave it. Technically, pretty well-done. The pose is informal, and the composition is about him AND his bike. The technical values here are solid...if you can ull off fill flash that seamlessly and perfectly, you'll do great.

Third shot--the glare actually adds to the shot. YOU guys have nice bikes. Probably cost as much as a decent lens. Pretty good image adjustment I think. Your exposure control and lighting has improved markedly over the last month.

2nd one looks good to me. but you see the light edge of the post creeping into shot, extreme left.. in my own photos, that would bug me - i'd crop it out as minimally as possible.

First shot:
ISO 100
1/200
f/3.2

Second shot:
ISO 100
1/200
f/4.0

Third Shot:
ISO 100
1/200
F/7.1

On another note, I just ordered Cactus v4 triggers. You can not even imagine my excitement! ahahah I can't wait to finally never have to worry about STUPID optical flashes firing EVER again ahahah. It is such a big leash on my outside photography (and even my indoor photography)

Jack-

You are a great model. I am a happily married mom, so I am allowed to say that. :) If you've got it, you might as well flaunt it right?

I've noticed most of your studio shots white balance tend to run on the cool end. You might want to warm them just a bit.

I agree with IGSemt about turning toward the light. It would fix those diag shadows down the neck.

What's with cutting off the top of your head?

However- sometimes shadows can be great to add drama- here's a fun edit

4352686849_08eafddbaa_bcopy.jpg

Well on this photo, I was trying to get as close to the camera as I could and it just happened that I cut off my head. Oh well. As for the white balance, I rather prefer a bit colder white balance, at least for pictures of myself and other pictures of people with blue eyes. I feel like a little bit paler skin makes blue eyes pop out a lot. Also, since a lot of the time I shoot a bit more serious shots (no smiles), the colder look works.

its a softbox that i made myself. basically just four yard signs (the ones i used were signs for christmas time that say "jesus is the reason for the season") that are 24" x 18" (ish) and then the inside was covered in white poster board. Then I covered the opening with a cheap piece of cotton muslin

I'd love to see a photo of your home-made softbox! Seriously! It's producing pretty good lighting effects.

Have you seen the old-school DIY ones made out of Foam-COre boards and lots of tape??? When I was your age, those where da bomb!

its a softbox that i made myself. basically just four yard signs (the ones i used were signs for christmas time that say "jesus is the reason for the season") that are 24" x 18" (ish) and then the inside was covered in white poster board. Then I covered the opening with a cheap piece of cotton muslin

home built projects are always fun. ya lets see some photos!

Most reactions

Back