Corry

Flirtacious and Bodacious
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
corryttc.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...I have a friend who needs to get some pictures framed. She has an 11x14 and an 11x14 (and she's not sure of the others)...last time she had something framed, the bill was outrageous. She asked me if I had any tips for her before she goes to have them framed...I don't know much about that, so I thought I'd post here.

All help appreciated.

Custom framing is expensive!!! If there is any way she can do the work herself I'd sure consider it. Hobby Lobby and other hobby stores carry pretty much anything she'd need, offer help and advice, and materials are reasonably priced. They also do framing but, again, you're paying for someone else's labor. I've done all my own mounting, matting, and framing the past couple years. Nothing fancy but economical...

She need do cut them herself, or get precut matte they are usually a lot cheaper. I recall Terri knowing an online site for mattes that had good prices

I'll asume that your friend will have more prints to frame at a later date. Otherwise, the advice is 'Bite the bullet and do it.'

First, learning how to cut a matte takes care of cropping. Any large art store will have 32 x 40 inch sheets of matte board at a reasonable price.

You'll need a box cutter, an aluminum 36 inch straight edge/ruler and a 45 degree matte cutter and blades. And practice. You will definitely ruin a few mattes while learning.

Next, learn to shop stores such as [NY area] Walmart, Coles and Target for frames. They often have plain black frames at good prices.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back