Getting raw format from photographer - what's next?

wadexyz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a set of wedding pictures that a local photographer took for us. We hired him, but chose to just have him send us the files (as opposed to sign up for an expensive photo package).

So he took the files with a Nikon camera in RAW format. For us, he delivered JPG100's, not raw (which I believe will be fine for our purposes). The photographer did mention that because these files were taken in a raw format, they've gone under no digital processing / alteration whatsoever. He said even cheap consumer cameras will do something upon saving...these files haven't had anything done to them (except straight conversion from raw to jpg).

We have approx. 114 photos that we're going to keep for a general set of prints. Is there some kind of general process I can apply to the 114 photos? What type of tools would one use for that? And of the few photos that we care to blowup, what type of photoshop work should be done on those? Should I outsource this?

Sorry for the long narriative. I should not that I am very inexperienced at manipulating images (don't even have photoshop, just gimp)........so when you're answering, talk slowly and use small words.

oof. Your photographer must be... um... interesting.

#1. I can't imagine any photog giving uncorrected images to anyone- that's their credibility being tossed around and poorly processed.
#2. If he's going to do it, he should at least give you the RAWs as well so you have a hope of getting something decent. Uncorrected JPEGs... >shudder< bad bad bad...

Unfortunately, no, there is no "universal" way to make this work. You can TRY to do an auto-levels in Photoshop... that's often "good enough for government work" but rarely what I would consider appropriate, and certainly not for wedding work.

Honestly, I would go back to the photographer and discuss possibly getting the images corrected, even if it means him charging you a bit more. BTW, that being said, I don't have much faith in your photog, so I'd be inclined to get the raws from him (if he has 1/2 a brain, he'll charge you for that) and then pay another photog to correct them.

I'm sure several folks on this board would be willing to discuss doing the work for you for a fee (myself included).

For a start RAW do have to be processed into JPEGs, but its not a straight formula for conversion, there is no set method. Instead its like the first stage of editing (if you will) where you can adjust a range of settings (contrast, saturation, darkness) and even adjust some major parts (white balance and exposure (to a limited degree it can be adjusted)). These are all key stages in editing and lead directly into editing the JPEG file so that the person doing the editing will get the image that they want to create.

I am very confused as to why your photographer is handing over the files for you to edit, especailly as you freely admit that its not an area that you are well versed in and I would have expected your photographer to do all the editing work. That you ask if you should outsource says (to me) that you are prepared to pay for this work to be done so why is your photographer not doing this stage?

If you'll excuse the pun, you got a raw deal. The point of shooting raw in the first place is to have maximum flexibility (read: maximum image data) when editing. When the raw files were converted to jpeg, most of that data was thrown out -- and you had no control over what was tossed.

My advice: For the select few images you might choose for large prints, try to get the raw files from the photographer and then have someone retouch them for you -- "outsource," as you put it.

Be sure and get written permission to have the images edited by someone other than the original photographer. Federal copyright law is involved here, unless you're not in the US.

You don't own those images and you need a document from the original photographer (a Use License or a properly executed Copyright Transfer) defining exactly what you're allowed to do with the images.

Last edited:
You can edit all those files that the photographer gave you BUT the problem here is when you bring that for printing in the store and make an 8”x10” prints the store will ask you or they going to give you a form with a question that you need to be answer like: You need to check if you’re the photographer of the said photos, etc. signed by you. As per KmH said, you have to get written permission to edit & reprint those file/images from the photographer. You need to play safe if you're from United States.

Oh wow, thanks for all your answers. Well, he did actually give us permission (verbally) to let someone else edit them. And I may ask him for the RAW format for the select pics we really like.....

Another question. The photographer implied most consumer cameras do some "in camera" processing, but his camera wouldn't do that as it was capturing RAW.

So my question is....can I do something to simulate this "in camera" algorithm (to apply to all pictures) so I can at least get them to that level. Actually, here's exactly what he said....

"Remember, these files have not been enhanced, retouched or corrected in any manner and do need enhancement if you are expecting good prints. Files coming out of professional cameras are not the same as files coming from consumer cameras. With comsumer cameras the files are processed 'in camera' with contrast adjustments, different colour adjustments and sharpening. Files out of pro cameras come out 'raw' with no contrast or colour adjustments, nor are they sharpened. This makes these files look dull and lacking in detail and colour until they are enhanced by the photographer. I will be send these out to you shortly."

Your comments would be highly insightful to me...

First of all, you said that he gave you permission verbally... it would be best if it&#8217;s a written permission to avoid legal issues.
You don&#8217;t need to have a RAW file to enhance the photograph&#8230; actually JPG file is enough to do the job as long as the size of the file is big and NOT resized.
Adobe Lightroom is the best software to enhance the photos.

So my question is....can I do something to simulate this "in camera" algorithm (to apply to all pictures) so I can at least get them to that level.

Yes. Most programs will have an "auto-fix" button, or something similar.
...That kinda defeats the purpose of shooting in RAW though... You'll want more control than that.

Actually, here's exactly what he said....

"Remember, these files have not been enhanced, retouched or corrected in any manner and do need enhancement if you are expecting good prints. Files coming out of professional cameras are not the same as files coming from consumer cameras. With comsumer cameras the files are processed 'in camera' with contrast adjustments, different colour adjustments and sharpening. Files out of pro cameras come out 'raw' with no contrast or colour adjustments, nor are they sharpened. This makes these files look dull and lacking in detail and colour until they are enhanced by the photographer. I will be send these out to you shortly."

Your comments would be highly insightful to me...

"...these files have not been enhanced, retouched or corrected in any manner ..." Technically, that's incorrect. The photographer had to use some application to produce jpegs the raw files. That requires some settings for exposure, contrast, saturation, etc.

In any case, yes it is possible to make further adjustments to the jpegs. If they were all taken in the same lighting conditions (or if you have groups of images taken in similar lighting conditions), the adjustments can be done in batches. But if the images were exposed differently or taken in a variety of lighting conditions, they might have to be adjusted individually.

Take a look at the Portfolio page on my website to get an idea how many ways there are to alter images. Those were all done with jpegs; no raw files.

as opposed to sign up for an expensive photo package
Wouldn't it have been easier to just buy a package and not have to worry about all this?

It sounds like you got unprocessed files because that's all you were willing to pay for. I suppose the photographer could have given you the RAW files...but would you even know what to do with them?...it doesn't sound like it. He was probably doing you a favor, converting them to JPEG, so that you could do your own editing.

If you have no knowledge of photo editing, my advice is to take/send the files to a good photo lab. They will cost more than Wal-mart or Walgreen's but they can likely do the basic image adjustments for you and give you the prints that you want.

Oh wow, thanks for all your answers. Well, he did actually give us permission (verbally) to let someone else edit them. And I may ask him for the RAW format for the select pics we really like.....

I do agree with the others in getting this in written form - its something that you might very well need should you take the images to another person to have them edit them.

Another question. The photographer implied most consumer cameras do some "in camera" processing, but his camera wouldn't do that as it was capturing RAW.
So my question is....can I do something to simulate this "in camera" algorithm (to apply to all pictures) so I can at least get them to that level. Actually, here's exactly what he said....

Sort of yes and sort of no - most editing programs come with auto editing features, but its really not going to do justice to the images. It feels like rather a waste to pay a photographer for their photography services and then have the editing done poor - think of it like a film camera setup and having the shots developed in a 1 hour clinic - yes you will get the images, but they won't look anywhere near as good

I am still a little confused as to why he is handing them over for you to edit - have you confirmed with him that he can't do any basic editing to the work - if so then I would recomend getting your hands on the best images (in RAW if you can) as well as the written permission to have them edited and printed and then seek out a photographer willing to edit them for you (most likley at cost). Whilst editing can be picked up the best software is costly and to use it right is another hurdle - is not impossible but its not a quick to reach position.

Most reactions

Back