Getting started in Portraits?

sillyphaunt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.bugshots.net
I am wanting to get started/into portrait photography. I was wondering what the basic setup is for backdrops, reflectors, lighting, etc etc. Nothing professional, just to dabble in it and maybe eventually do some paid work.

I do have a basement for use, so I will be able to set things up permenatly. Can anyone do a short/basic list of things I would need? Thanks!

*you can put this in the portrait forum, I wasn't sure if it needed to be there or not*

I shoot standard portrait fare, babies, seniors, family, etc.

We started with 2 studio lights, used from a camera store.
2 muslin backgrounds and a stand
A diffuser
A silver/white reflector

We now have additional lighting for hair/background lighting
More backgrounds
Props such as chairs, benches, etc
Soft box
Posing table

Our set up is not permanent. We shoot on location and outdoors mainly.

sillyphaunt said:
I am wanting to get started/into portrait photography. I was wondering what the basic setup is for backdrops, reflectors, lighting, etc etc. Nothing professional, just to dabble in it and maybe eventually do some paid work.

I do have a basement for use, so I will be able to set things up permenatly. Can anyone do a short/basic list of things I would need? Thanks!

*you can put this in the portrait forum, I wasn't sure if it needed to be there or not*

If you are thinking of eventually doing some paid work then you should buy the best you can afford. You'll save money in the end

Thanks for the thread, although I've done a lot of sports, I'd like to start doing portraits, I love the idea of being able to totally control your own lighting. Also I love taking photos of people, esp. adults. Kids kind of scare me when it comes to photos because there's no telling what kind of mood they'll be in. Maybe if you could put "make sure your child is in a great moodand cooperative before you bring them in" on your fliers? :)

Anyway I bought a couple of photography books that have sections on lighting and I'm saving for some elementary lighting componenets such as softbox, maybe a couple of bees etc. Thanks for the info

Hey Silly, a fellow Oregonian! Its nice to see another one of us here :) We are few and far between.

Oh thanks for the article! I'll check it out. I may be back wit some more questions after I read it.

Hey Havoc! Although I'm on the other side of Oregon... its almost a different world entirely :lol:

LOL< i visited Burns and farther east this summer. Your right it is totally different. I love the gravel highways and endless ranches LOL

sillyphaunt said:
Rogue.. I admittedly know nothing about it.. whats the difference between flash and hot lights?

feel free to call me Will.

hot lights are always on. flashes only pop when you trigger them. people have their preferences.

Stuff like this is very easy. One flash bounced into an unbrella placed at the right angle.

britt8915.jpg

nat4.jpg

For good lighting take the flash off the camera and for better lighting bounce it off of something.

Eric

Oh Airic.. you make it LOOK easy.. but I know its not so simple ;)

So you just bought an external flash I gather, then you bounce it off of what? Be more specific for the totally clueless please :)

Will.. I woudlnt know which one I liked.. I may have to try both hum?

Most reactions

Back