getting started

im_trying11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
how do you get into selling your photos.
my problem is im 14 and i cant go out and set up a stand and sell pictures. i paid for all my gear. in order to get better gear i need some money and thats why i need to kno how i should aproach this. is there places online where you can post pictures. how do i get my parents to help with this

Here's a good tip for you...
You can make more money selling the service of photography than by selling just photos.

So rather then trying to sell images that you have already taken, sell a portrait session or photographic coverage of an event.

Really, it will be more about selling yourself (and your service) than about selling the photos. A mediocre photographer can make a lot of money if they are a good salesman.
If you are the outgoing type it may come more natural for you. If not, you might consider a part time job (doing whatever) to earn money for photography. After all, it's not photographers who have all the best gear...it's doctors and lawyers.

i have ideas about the portraits but how can i get an event

i have ideas about the portraits but how can i get an event
You have to get your name out there. Tell everyone you know and talk to a lot of people. Maybe you just need to ask...if you see that someone is having an event, offer to cover it.

I won't sugar coat it. At your age, it will be really hard to get paying gigs, especially from people who don't already know you.

Really, at this stage of your development, you should be more concerned about learning and getting better, than making a quick buck. Offer to shoot events (birthday parties for example) for free. The experience you gain will probably be more valuable than any money you would have made. Or maybe you can find a way to make a bit of money as well.

Another option would be to become an assistant with a pro photographer. Again, the experience will be more valuable than the pay (if any) but you might be able to make some money if someone is willing to pay you.

When I was your age I did photoshoots for people my age and took photos they could use on myspace and facebook. $40 bucks a pop, 10 photos. That may be something to think about.

Most reactions

Back