Getting the "light beams thru the trees" look

Very cool behind the scenes Jcolman. What's the documentary and where did you do this at?
The show is about the history of NC. It will eventually become a six part series.

We were shooting on Roanoke island for the above shots. Roanoke is where the English attempted to establish the first colony in the "New World"

We were shooting on Roanoke island for the above shots. Roanoke is where the English attempted to establish the first colony in the "New World"
...rather than Jamestown, as the history books would have us to believe.

That's a cool idea, might be easier than waiting for the conditions to occur naturally. I've only seen it happen a few times and I live in Oregon where the conditions should happen pretty regularly.

Where can I watch the documentary when it's done? I'm from N.C., family's all there..I go back to visit every year. Sounds pretty interesting to know about my home state's history.

Great job on the effect. I tryed a shoot were I used two of the little halloween fog machines to make a blanket of fog in a graveyard by pumping the fog thru a box of dry ice. The test worked well but on shoot day there was a very slight breeze and I could not produce enough fog as the little machines stop making fog to reheet. Lesson learned for me was to rent a bigger and most importantly continous machine if ever I try again. Great job on the light beams.:thumbup:

Where can I watch the documentary when it's done? I'm from N.C., family's all there..I go back to visit every year. Sounds pretty interesting to know about my home state's history.
You're going to have to wait about 3 or more years before the entire series is completed. We just started on this last November. What we shot was a "teaser" video to raise funds for the entire project. The whole project is expected to cost about $1.8 million.

neat series.

i've been thinking about something similar. i wanted to use dry ice in a big grassy field. but i know nothing about dry ice.

That would have to be an expensive amount of dry ice! Though isn't mist from dry ice really heavy? Wouldn't it look like campy-oldschool horror film fog? You know what I mean, right?

That would have to be an expensive amount of dry ice! Though isn't mist from dry ice really heavy? Wouldn't it look like campy-oldschool horror film fog? You know what I mean, right?

"ankle fog". yes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back