Getty and $1.90 !!!

apagano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am relatively new to stock... 4-5 years with Monsoon now Getty for 2 years. I have been selling regularly with Getty $200-500 per month average , not enough to make a living but I was inspired and it gave me hope to grow. The past few royalty payments have left me " gob smacked " ( sorry no other phrase can convey just how I feel ) . For example recently I brought a group of teenagers into my studio ( studio rent per month $2000.00 ) shot them on seamless. ( hasselbled Phase One Back $12,000.00 , Dynalites, $6000.00 , Mac Pro and cinema display $9000.00, photographic experience since 1993...... ect. Submitted to Getty and they accepted and sold the image last month and my royalty was $1.90 One Dollar Ninety !

Honestly it is taking the wind out of my sails, I don't know what to do, what is the point in my effort?

I would love some info and feedback on this. What are people doing? What stock company is gining a fair percentage to its photographers? What are my options ?

Thanks
apagano

Getty bought all the good stock companies ages ago ..Tony Stone, Westlight, comStock so there are very few choices today. Finding higher ground is going to be tough. With enough images in stock you might want to look at the book publishers especially text books.

Welcome to what Getty has done to the world of stock. You should consider yourself fortunate that you were getting some decent stock money from them, it may turn around again.

I tried the world of stock photography for a while and you are doing better than I did. I lost interest in the idea of stock photography due to the sheer volume of images which meant the price was being pushed lower and lower.

Your overhead is irrelevant. Anyone can get some pals and shoot them on seamless in their garage with $2k in equipment. You'll have to step it up if want more profitable sales. Getty knows the market for your image is over saturated.

Of course Getty discounts everything as they like, so you can always expect nonsense like that.

Right... Thanks, I am afraid that none of your answers were what I wanted to hear.. but it rings of truth. Yes many images of mine that Getty has has been classified RF against my wishes... When I was with monsoon all were RM.
I am looking into Shutterstock and Alamy, any feedback on them. I feel a need to cancel my contract with Getty but would like to be smart about it.
Thanks for all the info and comments so far. Oh yeah, of course my overhead is irrelevant just trying to make a point.
Thanks

It's my understanding Shutterstock exclusively sells RF licensing, like virtually all of the microstock agencies.

Alamy caters to European markets and is located near Abingdon, Oxfordshire, in the U.K.

Getty, Corbis, and Alamy are the big 3. Corbis is owned by Bill Gates.

Both Getty and Corbis are based in Seattle.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back