GIANT DUCK WITH CAMERA FLOATS OVER TOWN!!!!

I don't think so. Manuals are only one way to get training. I won a runner up prize in a competition a long time ago for an image I made in 3dsmax 3 (I didn't break the entry rules because the file was rendered in a legit copy), but I definitely didn't have any formal training. I was 15 at the time. If I didn't break that hobby and start photography I probably would be working in the industry now. The only "training" I had is the absolutely endless supply of tutorials on the net on this topic and borrowing 2 books from the library I think they were 3D Studio MAX 2 fundementals, and Inside 3D studio MAX 2 Vol II (Modelling) which were the only two they had.

And if you're ever in doubt at the quality an amature can spit out check out the galleries at Calligary's site. Their product called Truespace was (I think anyway) far inferior to 3D Studio Max back when I was playing with it, yet some of the images they spit out are just jaw dropping.

Oh heck you're on this forum. Surely you can see what amatures can do even without formal training :)

The colour and movement and perspective are by far the easiest bit in that video. If anything is an arguement for its realism it is the scene where it is moving through the trees and has other foreground objects jumping around in front of it.

I think you proved my point. You did not mention how many hours you spent going through books and tutorials to learn 3D Studio Max, nor how many hours you spent working on your piece for the competition, nor the scope of the competition.

Then in this case there is also the work with digital editing software and trying to find tutorials on moving an inserted object behind a tree in a video. I wonder if it is even possible to find and even if it is, it involves a lot more hours.

Sure you don't need to be a professional. As a matter of fact, I have taught some extremely talented amateurs but even they ran into technical or software problems at times that required my assistance.

No one however spends this much time and effort to create a silly video clip for the Internet and no one who has spent this much time and effort to learn 3D modelling, animation, and digital video editing would even bother with such a mundane activity.

As a matter of fact, a high school student in a co-op program in digital video editing was offered $70,000 per year to quit school and start immediately with the company. The sights of any amateurs with those kinds of skills and interests are beyond creating silly videos for utube and dummies don't have the skills or the patience to learn how to do it.

skieur

Lol you clearly don't understand the meaning of the word hobby. That picture took me months of free time even after I learnt how to use it, and in the end all that happened was it got posted on the internet. I guess my job offer ended up in the spam folder :roll:.

Despite the comments, I have a very hard time believing that it is CGI. To do this kind of work requires 3D computer software at over $1,000 to create and animate the duck, another piece of software at over $1,000 to do the digital editing, a very powerful computer, one heck of a lot of knowledge and technical skill in the area, some artistic talent and one considerable amount of time to put it all together. This is definitely not something that any average computer type could even attempt.

skieur

Man, where have you been? This crap is easy for many to pull off and they are doing it all of the time. I belong to another forum, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/, where guys are duplicating Pixar, Universal, Disney, and Fox movie intros with the name of their Home Theaters on their little PCs. It's not that big of a deal to pull this stuff off anymore. Dumb video? Sure, but he's gotten his video viewed many times, his name and WTD out there. I never heard of WTD until now. I'm sure he's getting what he wants out of it.

Lol you clearly don't understand the meaning of the word hobby. That picture took me months of free time even after I learnt how to use it, and in the end all that happened was it got posted on the internet. I guess my job offer ended up in the spam folder :roll:.

Perhaps a serious financial and career mistake. I made money from everything I learned, either formally or through teaching myself or even a hobby.

skieur

If it is fake the guy who made it is what we call a hacker. Not a computer criminal but a hacker one who learns for the sake of learning and he found it amusing to make this little video (many people find the whole idea of money a mere amusement).

Yeah thanks monkeykoder. That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's not a career mistake any more than it is that I am more qualified to be a network admin than most network admins I know but I quite my IT degree after 2 subjects and switched to engineering, or more than several people I know who were shocked when they wanted to buy a photo off me and I told them they select a printer and I'll give it to the for cost price.

It's a hobby. People have them for fun, not for money, and definitely not for careers.

It was a funny video nonetheless. And even without mentioning all the sketchy parts in the editing. Why would you have a scene of just the balloon in the backyard apparently being tethered by nothing and then the kid playing with play-dough? It seems odd that you wouldn't keep the video camera on the balloon the entire time or not use it at all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back