Gift advice (C´mon gimme a hand!)

Baboom, Panocho has a good point! If the price is in reach Defiantly get the D200!! The D200 is tougher (metal body) and has weather sealing and is no harder to shoot than any DSLR- although it can be far more complex it has a program mode.

Along with the D200, get her the 18-200 VR lens and she won't really need any other lens unless she gets really serious about photography and wants to either shoot weddings or do espionage. ;) The only other things she would need would be a bag, a UV filter (to protect the lens), and a flash (flash- you/she should get an Sb 600- although the Sb 800 has more power she most likely won't need that much- guide numbers 98 (600)/125 (800) feet @ ISO 100). Don't forget a CF card, 4 gigs will take close to 900 jpgs and will fit on a R/W DVD.

For a travel camera, you won't find Any better than this set-up!

Good Luck.

mike

P.S. Adorama has the D200 w/18-200 afs dx vr for $2149.95 Look to the top of this page and use the link (helps pay for the bandwidth) and search Nikon 18-200

P.P.S. The D200 is worth the extra if for no other reason than the weather sealing!

I have to agree with what Floggingkyle is saying (for the most part).

Unless this woman is going be using this camera for sports in the rain, or personal protection, she doesn't need a D200. The D200 is a friggin brick.

Start out with teh D80/Nikkor 18-200VR (no tamron or sigma 18-200's), if she wants a more robust body/lens, than return them and exchange them for something else.

it's that simple.

Ahem, the weather seal also keeps out dust and though I don't know where she'll be traveling I am pretty sure that she won't want the thing konking out just before a great shoot with no access to another camera.

Besides, it's not like an F5 or a D2X, LOL I'm sure a woman can handle it just fine (my wife uses mine ;))

mike

Ahem, the weather seal also keeps out dust and though I don't know where she'll be traveling I am pretty sure that she won't want the thing konking out just before a great shoot with no access to another camera.

Besides, it's not like an F5 or a D2X, LOL I'm sure a woman can handle it just fine (my wife uses mine ;))

mike

weather proofing doesnt help keep a camera from "konking" out though. It will keep out the dust but if she gets the 18-200VR, chances are there wont be a whole lot of lens swapping.

Personally I'd want something faster than the 18-200VR, but it is an amazing all purpose lens.

No, dust won't cause electronics to crash but moisture will. I am not a world traveler but not too many blocks from my house the world is not so comfortable as here. I can't just go inside when my camera might get wet and come back later, I can take my camera to the shop down the way when the sensor gets dirty and messes up the photos.

The whole point to the 18-200 is not having to take off the lens and expose the sensor to the elements as the S lenses are currently the only ones to have the gasket to complete the seal. (The same range can be had much cheaper in multiple lenses.) The VR will lower the speed that can successfully be used hand held and Baboom didn't say anything about her shooting sports or fast moving subjects in low light. (if she were to do that then you would be very right in the speed issue)

And finally, I suspect Baboom wants to make a very good impression on the lady and having the wherewithal and the insight to give her just what she needs would do just that.

mike

I don't know mike, a pro camera just seems overdone. I mean, yes, if I could've gotten whatever I wanted, I could've started with an EOS 1Ds MK II and picked up on it just fine, but I like my entry level. I would've been the most happy probably if I had realized I could've gotten a used 20D for the same price as my XT was new. That is a high pro-sumer camera. Which is what th eD80 also is. Pro-sumer FTW. It just makes sense. Balancing budget with quality.

DSLR noob, There is only a few hundred dollars difference and the learning curve is probably less with the D200 due to the dedicated controls. The Canon 1DS MKll is not in the same ballpark as the 20D (or vice-versa) where the D80 is close to the D200. The real question is, "Why buy the D80 at its' price when the D200 is so close in price and the D200 has the perks of a pro body plus the ease of Program mode with some of the best metering, auto-focus, auto-white balance, lenses, and flash technology in the -yes I'll say it- World?" ;)

mike

I don't know, it just screams overdone. I mean, if it were as you make it out to be, the D80 shouldn't even exist, and people should ALWAYS buy the D200.
Money is best placed into the lenses.

I honestly Do question why the D80 exists! You are right that lenses are important and I have heard from people I trust that the 18-200VR is an amazing lens. The 18-200 costs a little more as does the D200 but money does not seem to be that big an issue in This thread. At least that is what I am reading from the original poster. The $2150 that Adorama is asking for the D200 with the 18-200 VR is about $400 more than I paid for the D200 and a 18-70 late last year. {I'd be ticked except I don't believe in waiting for a rain when I'm thirsty now ;)}

mike

Baboom, acabo de veure que ets de Barcelona!

benvingut!

Most reactions

Back