Gig Photography

ach,

i keep coming across new cameras!

someone just suggested a used D70 to me, there around the same price as a new D40

does the D70 autofocus n all lenses? if so wud this be athe better choice at gigs sicne i wud have a wider choice of cheaper lenses?

Yes. The D70 does autofocus with all AF-S lenses.

To tell you the truth, there really arent that many advantages to the in body focus motor designs. The best Nikon Lenses already have a focus motor in the lens. However the D70 is nice because it has the shooting info on a seperate screen.

I do suggest a used 10D or 20D over the 350D, if you choose to go canon.

i keep getting more and more cameras suggested to me

i think its between the D70 and Canon 20D even though the canon is slightly more, in low light the canon is supposedly much better

With controlling noise? Yes.

With overall brightness? No.

It's a pretty tough decision, I must admit.

Those two camera's are pretty equal to me, so it just comes down to preference and budget. Flip a coin if you cant make up your mind.

Hi Rogan

I can recommend the Nikon D70 (or D70S which is the later version), It is a great camera and has been my choice for many years.

I have taken some great gig shots with this camera, see some examples at my website www.paul-farris.com/music/index.htm for examples.

If I may give you some advice...

Flash is great but you may well find that the use of flash at some events is forbidden or limited to the first 2-3 tracks. Flash can help to freeze the action which may help you out if you do not have a 'fast' lens (a wide aperture.) However flash will not be much good to you if you can't get really close to the performers.

Lenses are an important investment so get the best you can. As well as looking at the focal range of a lens (this will dictate the angle of view available and how effective it may be at getting you near the action) it is important to look at the aperture available to you. At the beginning of this thread you said "i dnt know much about lenses so alot of that didnt make much sense to me" so I'm assuming that you do not have a firm grasp of aperture. My advice is to Google 'aperture' and try to get your head around it - this may help you make an informed decision when parting with your hard earned cash and also when reading a lot of the posts here.

Good luck

Paul.

guess ill have to pick one then :D

aaah, the D70 ends up quite a lot cheaper especially since the SB600 is alot cheaper than 430EX!

guess it depends on lens pricesss! i still cant pick a lens!

all these cameras have left me in complete confusion!

having looked around i have found the pros and cons of each cameraa, but they are all better in there own ways!

1. D40 is alot newer,
2. D70 looks good on paper, but its ancient and some say the sensor is brilliant in low light
3. 20D most expensive of the 3, but possibly the best? but its still old!

everyone from many differant sources have lots of differant opinions so im lost!

some people have said the D40 is the answer to everything, then some say its like the cheap iPod of cameras, its cheap and nikon so its bought by people too look good,

then people say the D70 is too old, then some are saying its still brilliant,

and the 20D is very old, and quite expensive in quite heavily used condition!

ach im back to the start!

Can't you compensate that with your photo software?

Yes. However, a true photographer knows to spend the least ammount of time possible in the digital darkroom, so you have more time to shoot. If you can get it right in camera then its worth the upgrade.

And Rogan...It doesnt matter whether the camera is old or not. Its the pictures it takes. The D70 AND the 20D are both up to par with current technology. You can still buy all the original accessories for both of these cameras. The D40 is cheap, but it takes great photo's.

Just pick one. You cant go wrong with either of those cameras. Seriously.

:thumbup:

i know i shud jut pick one

but i have a massive fear of picking the wrong one :p

i think ive decided to go for nikon as im on a budget

D70/s, or D50, im not so keen on the D40

D70s is the way to go i thinkk

im get so worked up :|

i know in my head that whichever i chose im gna get roughly the same results! i worry wayyyy too much!

Most reactions

Back