Gig photos, good or bad?

bigfatbadger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I've been doing a few photos for a local magazine lately and did some for a world cup event last night. They had a couple of bands on afterwards that I also took photos for. I've done a few of these now and am really challenging myself to try and find new angles on stuff, so with that in mind, what do you think of this?

noise%21.jpg

Now, I know technically there's lots of things wrong with it, but does it work for you as a shot?

Any opinions gratefully recieved!
Thanks
Jon

Personally I would prefer a shot where you can see the band a bit better, I mainly am a music photographer, and I just tend to go for the more focused on the band shot. Experimenting with different angles is always good when shooting at gigs, keep at it! When you get it right you can produce some really amazing photos, it's just quite hard to do. >_<'
Sorry, I really suck at explaining stuff.

Yeah, I usually go for the band shots first and then have a wander to try and find other stuff. I might have another go at something like this if possible, but obviously, actually taking care to avoid the camera shake and focus properly!

Cheers all

Yeah I use the 50mm a lot, I like the shots from this camera but I'm tending to get a lot of the same ones. I'm starting to experiment a bit with other angles. If anyone has any good ideas!

the girl in the front, no good! it takes the focus off the band i think! try a tripod fro these shots, i also found with shooting bands you get good portraits or facial shots, because they show alot of expression!

Sorry, I probably didn't explain myself properly.

I'm alright at the close up shots (or think I am, any crit on the below is always appreciated) but am looking for different angles and ideas because I'm slightly worried that my band shots are always looking the same. Here's some of my closer upper ones: -
theatoms2.jpg

theatoms5.jpg

soulmonkey4.jpg

different band in the last one, same night.

So i guess what I'm wondering is : how do I (or how do you) capture more individual shots of bands? Should it come from just sitting and watching them for the key moments? Or from working around the environment a bit more? That was what I was trying to do with the first shot.

As per usual, any comments / crits appreciated!

Much better, I like #2 and #3, try going for some lower angles shooting upwards at the person in hand, sometimes it can look awesome. Keep it up!! :)

Most reactions

Back