GIMP and Photoshop

Morpheuss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wondering what the difference is between GIMP and Photoshop besides GIMP is free and Photoshop is a couple hundred dollars. I remember playing with photoshop back in high school around 3 years ago and me playing with GIMP now I can't really tell much of a difference. I was also wondering some good websites for some GIMP tutorials. Thank you for all your guys help

I am wondering what the difference is between GIMP and Photoshop besides GIMP is free and Photoshop is a couple hundred dollars. I remember playing with photoshop back in high school around 3 years ago and me playing with GIMP now I can't really tell much of a difference. I was also wondering some good websites for some GIMP tutorials. Thank you for all your guys help
adobe Photoshop CS5 retail pricing is $699 USD.
Those qualifying for an Adobe Student Edition can get CS5 Extended (retail $999) for $199.
Those having a legal, registered, qualifying version of Photoshop CS (CS2, CS3, CS3 Extended, CS4, CS 4 Extended) can upgrade to CS5 for $199.

Photoshop Elements 8, which is really more akin to GIMP than one of the Photoshop CS versions, has a retail price of about $70-$80.

The biggest difference between the two is GIMP does not support Vector graphics. If your are a photographer, that dosen't mean much, but it means the world if you are a graphics designer.

Some say that Photoshop has more powerfull tools for the professional, but I'm not to that point and have never been in a sitiation where I couldn't do something in GIMP that I could do in Photoshop.

The biggest difference between the two is GIMP does not support Vector graphics. If your are a photographer, that dosen't mean much, but it means the world if you are a graphics designer.

Some say that Photoshop has more powerfull tools for the professional, but I'm not to that point and have never been in a sitiation where I couldn't do something in GIMP that I could do in Photoshop.
Photoshop CSx is a raster graphics program, but can accept vector graphics files imported from various vector graphics applications like Adobe Illustrator.

Graphical elements created in Photoshop using resident vector graphic tools, must eventually be "rasterized" prior to output.

Awesome I'm so glad I was thinking to do true good photo editing you had to have photoshop... Gimp is such a wonderful thing.

I have licenses to spare from work for Photoshop but use Gimp @ home since I've not found anything it can't do well (not saying there isn't anything...don't bite)...and I like to keep up on it so I can show off how great a a free image manipulation program can be for my friends/family.

I have tried to like GIMP but I can't stand it.

Most reactions

Back