Gimp

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, since my photoshop trial ended, i have to wait to get my full copy, but as of now, would it be useless to practice with gimp? Is it that much of an inferior program, where it wouldnt give me any good practice? Like can i do things on gimp, for now, that could also be done on photoshop
Sorry for a possibly really stupid question

The basics are the same between both programs. Photoshop has a lot more specialized functions, and some of the more edge applications of basic tools are better fleshed out. The other difference is that gimp is presently only 8-bit, where photoshop can do floating point. The theory of how to actually use each of them and the basic tools are the same though.

Which version of Photoshop did you trial? Photoshop Elements 9? Photoshop CS5? Photoshop Lightroom 3?

GIMP does not include a Raw converter like all 3 of the above listed versions of Photoshop do.

Elements 9 is like GIMP in that it too is pretty much limited to only 8-bit depth edits. Understanding Bit Depth

and all the other great tutorials on that web site: Digital Photography Tutorials

GIMP does not include a raw converter, but UFRAW is an open source plugin that is available for GIMP that I use on most of my images :thumbup:

I was using the cs5 trial, and reading up stuff about it, watching videos
And if i shoot in raw i just convert them with the program that came with my camera
So, i guess gimp gets more credit than i have given it

One major advantage of Gimp... Gimp is FREE and open source.
...and one disadvantage, is that it sucks.:lol: Just kidding, I know you love Gimp and just had to give you a hard time.

Gimp will do many of the basic photo editing things that photoshop will do, however the interface is different in many aspects, so I wouldn't bother trying to become too versed in it because Photoshop will be a very different animal. ( thats assuming that you are going to get Photoshop relatively soon )

One major advantage of Gimp... Gimp is FREE and open source.
...and one disadvantage, is that it sucks.:lol: Just kidding, I know you love Gimp and just had to give you a hard time.

Gimp will do many of the basic photo editing things that photoshop will do, however the interface is different in many aspects, so I wouldn't bother trying to become too versed in it because Photoshop will be a very different animal. ( thats assuming that you are going to get Photoshop relatively soon )
Yeah i do plan on getting one soon, luckily my friend is giving me the whole master collection, which im quite excited about, so i wont go out of my way from now on to learn gimp, and the whole program itself, everything i would learn would just be useless
Thankyou :D

everything i would learn would just be useless

Nothing you learn is ever useless...

You've used Photoshop, GIMP is free, you could try it and compare... see for yourself if it's similar enough. There are fundamentals to image editing that are true no matter what interface you're interacting with.

everything i would learn would just be useless

Nothing you learn is ever useless...

You've used Photoshop, GIMP is free, you could try it and compare... see for yourself if it's similar enough. There are fundamentals to image editing that are true no matter what interface you're interacting with.

C'mon now, it would be quite a waste of time.. If they have someone willing to give them Photoshop which is the industry standard( although that sounds a little sketchy to me ) why should they bother learning some watered down knock off when learning one software is as time consuming as it is? Its not like Gimp is some specialty program that would be of use in addition to photoshop. I would agree that just tinkering around with the basics of editing to get the feet wet wouldn't be a complete waste. However, the OP and myself were referring to in-depth learning. ( ie. learning advanced features ) Another point to make is that with only a short trial of photoshop ( which has a very steep learning curve ) the OP would not even be in the position to "Compare" anything with any accuracy. So if you only want to focus your efforts and time on one software you would have to logically think Photoshop is the best choice given that its industry standard, much more refined, and a professional grade product. ( The cost, which is always the deterrent for using photoshop, is out of the equation since they would BOTH be free. )

GIMPshop.com - A GIMP hack by Scott Moschella

I think there is still valuable lessons to be explored no matter which package you choose. The concepts are very similar.... and the interfaces are the easiest to "relearn"

Mebbe there's enough of us GIMP lovers to get our own forum. Hint, hint.
wink3.gif

Most reactions

New Topics

Back