Girl With A Camera in Michigan

RabbitCatCat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello..

Firstly, I'm a nikon girl, but I do have one sigma lens and it doesn't autofocus on my D7000 and it also has some black smudge but that doesn't show up on the photos. I love the lens anyway and manual focus with it. I find that even more enjoyable for me because my photos come out a lot sharper than with my 50mm 1.8 lens does in autofocus.. but, that lens has a sweet spot at 2.2 (for me).. however, even then it's generally soft. I thought I just didn't know how to take in focus photos, but now that I manually focus it's really improved the quality of my photos.

I feel like I know my camera very intimately. Which gives me the confidence to start learning more advanced concepts and I especially am anxious to learn off camera lighting.. Right now I have a sb700 that I use on camera when needed.. but I really prefer to shoot with natural lighting.. however I'd love to learn studio lighting and learn how to do indoor photoshoots. Right now I always shoot outdoors with natural lighting, but I also want to incorporate studio photography in my work and art.

I'm not a paid professional, I am an aspiring professional. I am learning still, and not charging for my photoshoots. However, my name is starting to spread by word of mouth and although I LOVE shooting it does take me away from my current business and I'm beginning to wonder if I should start charging a small fee. I feel ashamed to charge when I am not yet at professional quality though,... time to do a search on the forum and see what others have done in the past.

Anyway I love photography, it is my passion that brings me to life. It lights up my world.

RabbitCatCat

Welcome to the party!! I can't wait to see some of your work!

Welcome Michigan girl. I was attached to Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Oscoda, for a while. Great time had, can't talk about it here sadly they'd probably hunt me down and kill my children in front of me ;-)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I decided that I am not nearly at all ready to start charging. The quality is just not there. I'll have to find some way to continue my pursuit and not neglect my current career. I want my arrival in the world of professional photography to be warmly welcomed because I put in the hard work and earned it!

I read your post earlier this morning, and have just now re-read it some 45 minutes later after breakfast and a coffee. Your post managed to sneak back up to the What's New list, and so, here we are. It sounds to me like you have "caught the photo bug", and want/need to learn much more about the craft. There is plenty to learn. Skillful use of off-camera lighting, and lighting that is not merely found, but which is created by the photographer, is one of the hallmarks of a true professional photographer. I would encourage you to enjoy whatever it is that you currently shoot pictures of. There are plenty of resources aimed at helping people learn how to light things. Web sites, blogs, and manufacturer's sites, plus books in the library for free, and in bookstores for sale.

Hi Darrel, I have of course been studying lighting as well. But the technical aspects of off camera lighting, with the wireless triggers, confuses me! I know how to use my reflector and fill flash pretty well, and I have some hot lamps I can use too, but I want to learn more about wireless off camera lighting. I have read a lot about it, watched youtube videos etc.. I just need to really do the same as I did with learning the exposure triangle and practice practice practice. Currently I shoot portraits, but nothing spectacular has yet to emerge from my art, however, I do see progress. That in itself keeps me motivated to continue on. The only reason I even think about charging is because so many people return to me again and again for shoots, and I love photography so that's not an issue, it's more the fact that I can't afford to give as many shoots away as the demand that is coming in without sacrificing my current business. I guess I just gotta start saying no to people :( But that just means more time to devote to quality, quality over quantity imo.

Welcome to the site.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Most reactions

Back