jonnik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All

Please, suggest which Gitzo tripod and head will fit my needs:
1. My camera is EOS 1DX
2. Longest and heaviest lens I use is Canon EF 100-400mm 4.5 L IS
3. I shoot primarily landscapes, life, architecture
4. The context in which I shoot: I travel to various countries most of my time, usual means of transportation is plane and/or train.
5. Additional requirements: the more lightweight the better (but not aluminium), ability to mount in unlevelled grounds (hills, cliffs), possibly compact carry on size (for ease of transportation while traveling)
6. Price issue is not a problem.

Would be much obliged.

The more leg sections a tripod has the less stable it is.
Travel tripods have 4 or 5 leg sections so they can be collapsed to a short length.

The leg section closest to the ground when the leg is fully extended has the smallest cross section and hurts the tripods stability the most.
Whenever possible, don't extend that lower leg section.

Raising the center column also decreases tripod stability.
Travel tripod leg length is kept shorter than normal to also help make the tripod travel friendly, making it more likely you would need to raise the center column even when the legs are fully extended.

Lightweight also diminishes tripod stability, so make sure the tripod has a weight hook.
ideally you want your tripod and head maximum weight capacity to be at least 2x (3x is better) the amount of weight of your heaviest camera/lens and weight added to the weight hook for stability.

Gitzo 3 series systematic 3 or 4 legs. Doesn't matter.

Most reactions

Back