Give it up? & more for C&C...

Limiting number of images on a shoot is an academic exercise ... not a commandment. As with any photo assignment, this is a personal challenge to see how you can utilize this to improve yourself. I am not suggesting for a moment that one never take more images at a shoot.

BTW, a model shoot with 25 images might also be an interesting challenge. Again, an exercise not a way to work.

If it was intended as an "exercise", I understand. That's not how it was put forth.

I don't really get the parameters for it either though. When I go out, I spend 4-5 hours wondering around. :er:

Well, I didn't make the original suggestion, but that's how I interpreted it. I would approach it as I would have in the days when I used film ... but I couldn't afford lots of film. I tried to make every image count rather than burning through lots of rolls.

i like the first one,i think you have a good eye

My opinion on the shooting less per walk is this:
When talking about terms of learning, I think this advice is bad, because it wouldn't allow the budding photographer to learn what different effects the aperture, shutter speed, etc. have. For example, when I first started taking pictures, for everything I shot I used different settings like aperture to affect the DOF.

However, when you know what you are doing, and you are challenging yourself to take better pictures, I find it as great advice, as you start to take more time to make sure you put every ounce of artistic expression into every shot.

Clawed, I think your images are good, we all start somewhere and its not always easy to get awe inspiring shots. Isn't it Ansel Adams who said that 12 good shots a year is a good crop?

Like all art-making, photography is as much about process as it is about the result. Enjoy this process! Getting one or two good photographs out of a session is a pretty good average....don't be too hard on yourself as you learn and grow in your photography. Speaking about that 25-shot limit, I think that's one example of setting up parameters for your shooting that might help you become more aware of what you're doing. There are other good things that work too...I've got a story on my photo blog that addresses some other things you can try.
Good luck!
Andrew Boyd
TheDiscerningPhotographer

You remind me of a really hot girl whining about how ugly she feels and needs validation from everyone to remind her that she's hot :lol:

IMO

Like all art-making, photography is as much about process as it is about the result. Enjoy this process! Getting one or two good photographs out of a session is a pretty good average....don't be too hard on yourself as you learn and grow in your photography. Speaking about that 25-shot limit, I think that's one example of setting up parameters for your shooting that might help you become more aware of what you're doing. There are other good things that work too...I've got a story on my photo blog that addresses some other things you can try.
Good luck!
Andrew Boyd
TheDiscerningPhotographer

Good tips! I particularly like (and use) the suggestion of using only one lens for a day. When I first bought my 10-20, I forced myself to use it alone for a few days ... it really made me see wide-angle for a while :)

As for spending a day in an art museum ... I think that knowing what came before can really teach alot. For that reason, I go to museums often and look at LOTS of books of photographs as often as possible.

I like Boyds #1 tip.
"Shoot, shoot, shoot."
:greenpbl:

Ian, I agree that it could serve as a positive exercise to shoot sparingly. And really, it's not worth putting a number on since if I am indeed out in the field shooting for several hours, I would certainly expect to exceed 36. Point taken though! (btw, do not know if you saw it in my other thread, but I think I saw you shooting near the Peoria Sport's Complex on July 4th).

Cely, I just read that quote today (courtesy of a link from Samanax) from Ansel Adams. I would hope I could get more than that in a given year that I am happy with though. Plus, I am not shooting and worrying about the cost of film, and hopefully do not have Ansel Adam's standards. Would be interesting to see what did not make the cut as a 'good shot' for him, lol.

Andrew, definitely some good points on the blog. #1 is key for me in that I just need to continue to get out and practice instead of sitting at home wishing I had sick photography skills. Wouldn't hurt if I had a better idea of the limitations of the camera as well. I admit guilt in that I just expect my camera to be able to capture detail in dark shadows and highlights alike.

FourAces, I am not 100% sure why that would be the case. I am not looking for someone to tell me I am a good photographer. I actually posed the question to see if there were others out there that feel like I do at times. For me, it's all too often, and it's actually pretty disheartening. This is good therapy though, because I am hearing from others with a range of abilities that they can either relate, or that they have suggestions about how I can come away from a shoot feeling a bit better with the results. There have been some good things said already, and for that, I am grateful.

I had never really thought about my own photos like that. I was like, do they really suck and if they do, why bother. After thinking about then looking trough some of my photos i quickly remembered how much fun i have taking and editing them. Its such a fun hobby and gives you a reason to get out and see cool things.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back