Give me your best tips!

my tip is.. seriously.. stop taking anymore wedding gigs until you understand the exposure triangle and how to edit. Find a mentor! I am not sure why people have not grilled you on this forum. They are usually pretty harsh.

Start from 0! Pretend you just got your camera and really learn the camera basic. Also learn how to process photos.

There are a few pros out there who shoot only JPEG and do it very well. They are crazy but hey.. the end result is what matters.

Keep at It don’t give up - Do some training like others have mentioned. Work on your composition and Relax as much as you can and go with your instincts when shooting. Watch out for what’s in the background - I noticed one photos of couple cutting cake and the right half of the photo was a totally irrelevant window, which detracts from the image.

Wedding Photographer Wellington

...I've actually been doing wedding photography for a couple of years...

...When shooting: in auto, JPEG...
:shock: :shock:

...What I'm looking for: the best piece of advice you have for a beginner(ish). Think wedding photography...

Best advice for events? This one: take LOTS of pictures. 800 better than 500, 1.000 better than 800. Then, select.

Greetings.

Thank you to everybody who has given me constructive criticism. I appreciate it and, well, I need it. I actually have three weddings coming up this summer so I am going to make what changes I can right away and go from there.
I just want to clarify that "a few years" of wedding photography means I've been paid to photograph five and I do it for super cheap. I advertise myself as a "student photographer" and brides do see what I've done before booking me. My clients generally do not have super high standards and are pleased with what they get.
I'm not justifying my low ability level, just making it seem a little less cruel to my clients, I guess?
I have some definite studying plans for this week but I was wondering, how would one go about getting a mentor? I understand that I need to double up with a photographer who can show me the ins and outs of everything in person but in the meantime, is there anybody on this forum who wouldn't mind being bombarded with questions?
thankyouthankyouthankyou

I am not sure why people have not grilled you on this forum. They are usually pretty harsh

Wow..I'm truly amazed. It's a bit refreshing! :)

Okay, here's the deal.

Ya gotta know the fundamentals- both technical and artistic - if you want to be able to consistently make 'incredible' photos.

Best tips is a very poor substitute for gaining the in depth understanding of the fairly wide variety of subjects required to consistently do photography well.

Many people wait for someone else to give them the information they seek, rather than being proactive and seeking it out on their own. By seeking the information independently, one discovers information they didn't know they didn't know, or would need to know. You're 2 years in, and admittedly, you haven't bothered so far.

Like the oft repeated desire to find a mentor - Any mentor "who can show me the ins and outs of everything in person" would be a very poor mentor. A mentor is an adviser, a guide. The mentee still has to do the work of discovering the vast majority of the information independently. The mentor just helps to keep the mentee from getting side tracked.

Mentorship is a personal development relationship in which a more experienced or more knowledgeable person helps to guide a less experienced or less knowledgeable person. However, true mentoring is more than just answering occasional questions or providing ad hoc help.

Thirty second tips, and 5 minute videos won't get it done. Hopefully you will acquire a mind set that allows you to devote the effort required to attain your goals.

As for learning the fundamentals, here are some resources - http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

If you haven't started already, you might start acquiring the hard copy reference materials that are needed to support the approach to doing photography at a more advanced level you seek.

First tip, take whatever people here tells you with a grain of salt, including me.
Go outside & shoot photos rather than spending hours a day on photography forums.

and you can also,
read books and shoot allot of photos while taking the time to review your photos just to see what you have done wrong/right and what could possibly done to improve, but for the sake of god, don't do it here. you will get nothing but your white balance is off, your horizon is not right and follow the rules of thirds.

network with local professionals who probably know what the hell they are talking about.

Use iron-clad contracts.

I agree with Buckster......Kelby Training is awesome and very inexpensive. Its like going on a shoot with a pro and having them tell you what to do and why you should do it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back