Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
we politely declined.

BUT, I was wondering if anyone else has run into this situation and what they did. here's what happened in a nutshell.
my wife got an email this week from someone wanting her to shoot their wedding. it was going to be small, probably only 4-6 hours worth, and was local. sounded good so far. All of the business details were fine, everything pretty typical, except at the VERY end we were informed that the bride (who was setting this up) was apparently a photoshop wizard, and did not want us to do any photo editing. she wanted all the unedited raw files so she could do all the editing herself.

My wife explained that she never gives out unedited files, and if that was going to be an issue than she would not be able to do her wedding. sooo...we're not doing her wedding.
this is the first time we have run across this as an actual deal-breaking issue.

with editing programs like photoshop and lightroom and such being so popular now, is this becoming a more common occurrence? And has anyone shot for a client and just given them the raw files?

I have done that once because it was a good friend of mine. Never again. After we discussed all her options about making an album and getting images printed she took the CD and left, she told me she was going to call me back.

The problem is she never did, she got an album made at Walmart and though of course I was mad, I was even more furious to find out by someone else that she didn't even use the ones that I edited, even though they were both in seperate folders.

Furthermore, editing your files shows your style and how you vision your pictures and if other people do this instead, some people with little to no skills in this domaine might end up with a (really) bad image. It craps your style ;)

I might do it... with a contract stating limited usage... and for a LOT of cash! It would be per image... and expensive!

I never gave negatives away when I was shooting professionally... so I see the problem!

I have been asked many times. I simply say I do not sell unedited files. That is like giving away unbaked cookies. They just are not finished yet.

Papa Murphy's sells un-baked pizzas all day!

Maybe if she was some top fashion retoucher that would be willing to walk you through all her secret processes....

I still don't understand why people eat cookie dough and don't cook it!

That aside honestly remember that most customers are going to say "Oh but its what everybody does" because that is "what everybody does" in the same way that everyone knows that "you just press a button and photoshop fixes it" and "You just sharpen it to cure blurryness like on CSI" etc.... Nobody actually knows this, but its a group mentality that seems to stem from media and advertising which puts the thought into peoples head- the case of unedited digital files has grown a little more strongly because many "new pros" have shifted to support that market segment and it generally works because a lower end working photographer often has lower skills that are more easily achieved by others and also is charging to a market segment who will take every single saving that they can get because they can't afford more.

Honestly I think that this is only something to be considered when:
1) Its arranged in advance as part of the agreed contract.

2) The person you are agreeing with has some skill or hires those with skill to perform the editing.

3) When its in your interest to agree to hand over the files (securing the contract is part of your interest, but so too is your professional standard and product).

I still don't understand why people eat cookie dough and don't cook it!

That aside honestly remember that most customers are going to say "Oh but its what everybody does" because that is "what everybody does" in the same way that everyone knows that "you just press a button and photoshop fixes it" and "You just sharpen it to cure blurryness like on CSI" etc.... Nobody actually knows this, but its a group mentality that seems to stem from media and advertising which puts the thought into peoples head- the case of unedited digital files has grown a little more strongly because many "new pros" have shifted to support that market segment and it generally works because a lower end working photographer often has lower skills that are more easily achieved by others and also is charging to a market segment who will take every single saving that they can get because they can't afford more.

Honestly I think that this is only something to be considered when:
1) Its arranged in advance as part of the agreed contract.

2) The person you are agreeing with has some skill or hires those with skill to perform the editing.

3) When its in your interest to agree to hand over the files (securing the contract is part of your interest, but so too is your professional standard and product).

we really have no idea how good the client is/isn't with photoshop. my wife just didn't feel comfortable giving unedited files to a client. people seem pretty shocked when you tell them that. the argument is, "what difference does it make. if your not editing, its less work for the same money". and in truth, they are correct. And in truth, my wife doesn't feel comfortable giving unedited photos to clients. so she doesnt. sucks turning away business though. I really hate it when morals and feelings get in the way of profit. :D

Only to commercial clients that have qualified editors.

Yup, I have done work for hire for companies with in-house designers. I did, however, have them put in the contract that I could use all images for my portfolio. But for retail people like weddings, portraits. Um, no.

Most reactions

Back