Giving a framed photo as a gift...do I sign it?

yup.. thats about it.... no particular reason. It makes the product look more professional and final than my business card scotched tape to the back.

Pretentious? Maybe one day you'll be famous, heralded as a genius of our times. If that ends up being the case your tiny squiggle in the corner of the frame starts being worth a lot.

I sign all my photos, by hand, with a silver acid free marker, in the bottom right of the frame, and then put the year it was photographed. It's tiny, out of the way, and more importantly I don't consider it pretentious at all. I think it adds a personal touch to the photo.

Really pretentious would be signing photos like half of the people here watermark their images, large and covering the centre of the frame.

Garbz, do you sign the actual photo, or the mat?

Jon

Pretentious? Maybe one day you'll be famous, heralded as a genius of our times. If that ends up being the case your tiny squiggle in the corner of the frame starts being worth a lot.

I sign all my photos, by hand, with a silver acid free marker, in the bottom right of the frame, and then put the year it was photographed. It's tiny, out of the way, and more importantly I don't consider it pretentious at all. I think it adds a personal touch to the photo.

Really pretentious would be signing photos like half of the people here watermark their images, large and covering the centre of the frame.

Oh,

I don't consider that pretentious at all. I consider it protecting your copyrights to your work. Intellectual Property concerns are becoming more and more of an issue with the easy access to everything on the InterWebNetHighway.

For gifts I double mat and use a pencil to print the title on the left and my name on the right on the inner mat.

I think there's a difference between healthy pride and pretentiousness. If you have good reasons to put your name down, then it's worth it. And some of the reasons mentioned here were, references and protecting your work. It's also a way to put a mark on your work, because really, it is your work and you should be proud of that. There's nothing that says an artist shouldn't take credit for their own work.

If you sign the back of the print, use a very soft art/drafting pencils so it does not cut into the print, something in the range of a B4 or B6

Garbz, do you sign the actual photo, or the mat?

I sign the actual photo, in the bottom right. On a 8x5 frame it takes about 1x1 cm, so it's there but well out of the way.

I don't consider that pretentious at all. I consider it protecting your copyrights to your work. Intellectual Property concerns are becoming more and more of an issue with the easy access to everything on the InterWebNetHighway.

Err what? Read the bold text you quoted again, paying particular attention to the bit where I said "signing photos".

I sign the actual photo, in the bottom right. On a 8x5 frame it takes about 1x1 cm, so it's there but well out of the way.

Err what? Read the bold text you quoted again, paying particular attention to the bit where I said "signing photos".

Ah!

Roger, that! My bad. I apologize for failing to read for content. :blushing:

Ahhh. Didn't know if you were trying to start a pointless argument or not.
Mistake is much better. :peacesign: :D

If you are going to use pencil, I would suggest putting some type of glaze or sealant over it, so that it won't be removed easily. It doesn't have to be heavy duty, and you don't want it to warp the paper, so it should be light and only a coat to protect the pencil marking. This won't work though if the paper is too thin.

Most reactions

Back