Giving away your "secrets"

jowensphoto

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Mishele posted a thread recently titled "Inspiration." I, like many, am inspired by what she creates.

There are many artists I admire, because I wonder how they saw the art before it was created, and also what their technical process is. Sometimes I'll ask, but I'm not offended if I'm told no.

Apparently, some people are.

I posted some images on a different forum today and was asked for more or less instructions for creating the photo. I was accused of secrecy and flaunting (I didn't think the images were good enough for someone to be jealous of, but I digress...).

I think teaching a budding amateur proper exposure and composition is only right. At what point do you stop telling people how to "do art"? Some people are masters of light, others are digital manipulation wizards. Then some people are just freaks and make impossibly amazing art. ;)

What secrets do you refuse to share? I promise that's not a trick question!!!

I don't have any secrets when it comes to shooting. If anyone asks me how I did something, I tell them. I offer suggestions when I'm shooting around amaterus, usually the ones that look lost. What's the point of spending decades learning and understanding photography if I can't share that knowledge.

To me, it's like a magic trick. If the magician tells everyone how he made the rabbit pop out of the hat, the magic is lost.

On the same analogy, I could come up with my own way to pull a hare from a hat. The process is surely different than the other musician, but that's what makes is my trick; not a trick I copied from someone else.

ETA: magician, not musician... lol

Last edited:
Trying to keep "secrets" is silly when you've already shown the photograph. All your methods and ideas are there for anyone to see, if they look hard enough. If you're trying to keep your methods "secret" you're only successfully keeping them secret from newbies. On the other hand, you don't owe anyone a bunch of your time. Maybe you feel that going over a bunch of technical rubbish will detract from the image you've displayed. Anyways, there are reasons for not wanting to explain, but "keeping your methods secret" probably isn't one of the good ones.

To me, it's like a magic trick. If the magician tells everyone how he made the rabbit pop out of the hat, the magic is lost.

On the same analogy, I could come up with my own way to pull a hare from a hat. The process is surely different than the other musician, but that's what makes is my trick; not a trick I copied from someone else.

Let me ask this question then -- what about a question about processing? Even to the point of sharing processing secrets that would allow somebody else to create the same type of images in PP? I'm not sure that's the type of information I'd readily share with others if it took me time to develop it.

I'm not saying I don't help beginners. I'm about keeping art alive and am willing to teach basics to anyone that asks.

But there is something unique to every artist. Tricks and non-traditional techniques that add up to that "special something." It's like KFC's secret ## spices. A decent chef could probably replicate it, but so long as they don't have the recipe, it will never be the same. And that's what KFC has going for it (if you like that kind of food, at least).

Let me ask this question then -- what about a question about processing? Even to the point of sharing processing secrets that would allow somebody else to create the same type of images in PP? I'm not sure that's the type of information I'd readily share with others if it took me time to develop it.

I think you're getting what I'm saying.

There was a long drawn out work flow I wrote down for some digital manipulation technique. I shared it. Then I regretted sharing it. I worked hard on that, it was my "design," but now someone else has it and it's no longer unique to me.

If everyone knew how to do all the same things, art wouldn't be original (I think Bitter said something like that in the thread previously mentioned).

JW- one more thing. We see that question on here all the time, "HOW DO YOU GET THIS EFFECT?!"

Why should someone feel entitled to know the processes and techniques that may have taken the artist years or even decades to develop? What makes a person too good (well, we call them lazy) to sit down on their own and figure out their own processing? Even if it's similar to the inspiration, it won't be exactly the same.

Which leads me to a different topic... photoshop actions. Develop your own, cut down work time... all good. It kills me that so many "photographers" use purchased or free actions then use them and call it art. It's not art. It's a copy of someone else's vision.

Ok... it's been a long day. Soapbox over.

For now :)

I love helping beginners... as long as they are not claiming to be "PRO's" and charging for amateur crap! I have gotten so VERY frustrated with that, that it has severely impacted my enjoyment of helping beginners here! All because of one or two that I helped a lot in the past, that listened until they got to FB quality, and then went PRO.

If they are PRO's, they don't need my help.. IMO! (and they are STILL FB quality.. and probably always will be!) :)

Which leads me to a different topic... photoshop actions. Develop your own, cut down work time... all good. It kills me that so many "photographers" use purchased or free actions then use them and call it art. It's not art. It's a copy of someone else's vision.

I don't call it art.. I call it yellow, faux-vintage crap! lol!

Ok, fair enough: a copy of someone else's faux-vintage crap.

Works for me, Charlie!

Ok, for the record... and I won't be an ass and reveal the board, but I am giving up on it.

Apparently, 1.8-2.2 is the perfect portrait aperture. What the ever loving f***.

I'm not saying I don't help beginners. I'm about keeping art alive and am willing to teach basics to anyone that asks.

But there is something unique to every artist. Tricks and non-traditional techniques that add up to that "special something." It's like KFC's secret ## spices. A decent chef could probably replicate it, but so long as they don't have the recipe, it will never be the same. And that's what KFC has going for it (if you like that kind of food, at least).

I disagree with you.

IMO, you can teach the way but not the taste. In photography, you can teach someone how to pan his camera for example but that doesn't mean that you gave him the eye that you might had when you panned taking that great photo. For me I don't hide anything when I am asked. I think I learn and master things when you explain it to others and make sure they get it.

Also, I have to be thankful for many people who helped me when I first baught my camera. Now I am doing very decent photos and that is my second income source.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back