Giving copyright release to clients

Had this same situation come up: lady wanted a disc and copyrights. She only wanted to print, but thought that she needed copyrights rather than just a print release.

It doesn't matter if the shoot is free or $10,000... I'd never give away copyrights.

Where can I get permission to use this for my own use. I don't want to infringe on someone else's work but would like to have permission to use/modify this print release.

You have my permission to use it.

Print Release - Use License

All images © 2012 {name or studio here}, All Rights Reserved. This Use License shall be governed by the laws of the State of _________.

I, [name or studio here], as copyright owner of these images, grant a lifetime, personal, non-commercial use license to____________________and their immediate family, to print or have printed (no larger than (whatever size, if any)) reproductions of these images for display in their home and workplace only.

Online Use

{name or studio here} has provided web sized and watermarked images for exclusive use on social networking web sites that are not owned by____________________ and their immediate family. No other online use is granted. Removal of the watermark from these web sized images, or any other violation of any of the other terms, will constitute a breach of this entire Print Release – Use License, rendering it null and void in its entirety.

Copyright Information

Please remember that because these images are protected by United States Federal Copyright laws they may not be altered, copied, transmitted or used in any way not stipulated above without prior written consent of the copyright owner, {name or studio here}.
These images may not be entered in any photography or other competition or contest without the expressed written consent of [name or studio here]. Commercial use of the images is prohibited.
No waiver by either party of any of the terms or conditions of this license shall be deemed or construed to be a waiver of such term or condition for the future, or of any subsequent breach thereof. Waivers are only applicable when they are written. There will be no verbal waivers to this agreement.

The Photographer hereby warrants that he (or she) is the sole creator of these images and owns all rights granted by law.

[Name or studio here]
Address:
City, State:
Phone:
Email:
Authorized Signature:

I am looking to hire a professional wedding photographer for July 25th 2015 in Long Island NY. My main concern is to own the photo's and receive a full copyright release. If anyone knows of a professional photographer who will offer this service please reach out to me at [email protected].

Out of interest why do you need to own the copyright?

What exactly is it that you want to do and get out of your wedding photos, and what do you mean when you say you want to own the photos and receive full copyright release?'

If you mean that you want to own the copyright, that means that the photographer no longer has any rights to the pictures, and couldn't then sell you prints or use the images in his or her portfolio. The only person who could ever do anything with the images is you. If you can find someone to do this, I would expect to pay 2x-3x the normal price.

If you mean want to have a digital copy of the photos that you can put wherever you want, and are allowed to print from, then it should be relatively easy. Just find a photographer who offers a cd, call them, and find out if you'll get what you expect or not.

I am looking to hire a professional wedding photographer for July 25th 2015 in Long Island NY. My main concern is to own the photo's and receive a full copyright release. If anyone knows of a professional photographer who will offer this service please reach out to me at [email protected].
Included in my pricing was a discount for use of any photographs I made for self-promotion and advertising.
That was codified in my contract as part of the model release clause.

Customers could opt out of the model release if they didn't want their likeness used for my self-promotion/advertising, but that also mean't forgoing the discount and paying a higher price.

Ultimately, copyright is the only thing of value a working photographer produces and here in the US that value (copyright) is good for the life of the photographer +70 years.
So asking for the copyright instead of a use license/print release is asking for a lot, and a smart photographer charges accordingly, if the photographer is even willing to sell their copyright.

In other words, I hope you have lots of money, or can find a not-to-business savvy professional photographer.
But as it is today, there are lots of (cough!) professional photographers out there that have little business savvy or photography skill.

Last edited:
Meh... I'll be happy to take that on. All I will need is air-fare (min. business class), hotel, meal & rental car budget, one full day on each side of the event and $500/image w/ copyright signed over to you (on top of my regular wedding fee of course).

Other than the potential damage brought up by Overread ... if you were fairly compensated for your time, heck ... give them the RAWs ... what do you care? If you weren't fairly compensated then give them the RAWs at a price which would equate to you being fairly compensated for your time. I really don't understand what the big deal is all about ... and why ... if you are under commission to shoot something for someone else ... why would you care about copyright? (Unless you have a marketable name, in which case you wouldn't be asking this question.)

I just don't get it?

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back