Giving Up One "Shooting" Hobby for Another. Will Have Quite A Bit to Spend on Lenses

Hof8231

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I've decided to give up my 2nd Amendment rights for quite a while for obvious reasons that some of you know. I predict that I'll be able to get about $4,000-$4,500 for all my guns that I have. I'm looking to put that money into a good lens or two.

What I have currently:

Body:
Canon EOS Rebel T3i

Lenses:
EF-S 18-135 IS 3.5-5.6
EF-S 55-250 IS 4.0-5.6
EF 50 mm 1.8
EF 70-300 4.0-5.6 (That I'll probably also sell)

What I'm thinking of buying (not all of them, just my options that I've come up with):
Canon EF 85mm 1.8
Canon EF 100-400 4.5-5.6
Canon EF 70-200 2.8

Feel free to recommend anything else!

What do you guys think? I'm really into all types of photography but if I had to choose two that I do the most, I'd probably say sports and nature.

Those three lenses, Canon EF 85mm 1.8, Canon EF 100-400 4.5-5.6,Canon EF 70-200 2.8, are all really nice lenses. Your current set of zooms plus the 50/1.8, gives you a good base of lenses.
Photography is a varied hobby; the 100-400 for example, our very own Pixel_Rabbit, has recently acquired, and she's using it for a lot of stuff. It's got a lot of range, from 100 to 400mm, plus IS, so it can be used hand-held many times. The 70-200/2.8 is available in non-IS, IS, and the new Mark II IS version, so lots of choices.

Hum...I don't know the story but if possible, I wouldn't liquidate my entire arsenal. If anything, keep a few at. Relative or friends place.

Anyhow, best of luck.

I'm happy to live in a (mostly) post-gun society over here in Europe; your switch-over sounds like a positive one to me.

Anyways, just a little food for thought - if you're heavily into shooting sports, or fast-moving animals, then the focusing system on your rebel/600D may struggle to keep up. (For slower moving subjects, or ones at a more constant distance, it shouldn't be as much of an issue). If that is the case (you would have already seen the issues on your current body if it is), a 7D upgrade may be worth considering; the focus system on that camera is very sports-shooter friendly.

Thanks for the input everybody. As far as why I gave up my guns...it's a pretty long story about why but the short version begins and ends with a self-inflicted gunshot wound to my head...yeah...depression is no joke.

But anyway, on a more upbeat note, I went with the 70-200 2.8 IS (original, not the II) and the 85 1.8. So far I'm very happy with these purchases. I'm now starting to realize why people say the glass is more important than the body.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back