Glamour Shots

sohrab_ghabezloo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi... Im trying to take glamour pictures.... i want to know your opinion about lighting posing and post processing .... i used a nissin 866 mark II... with the with reflector....

42763751049276774496.jpg

89001808354570261447.jpg

1) She could use more light in her eyes. Her bottom hand is also very distracting. Either have her wrap it around more, keeping the fingers closer together, or have it cropped out. Its just a bit claw like.
2) Good shot - to help avoid some fullness in her chin, have her push her head forward. It feels ridiculous, but it works so well. Watch for clasps on jewellry. And it looks as if you did some skin smoothing on her face and arm, but not her neck.

Nice work overall. One other note, she kinda looks like she got blasted with the makeup shotgun. Right in the face. Not sure if this was a pro makeup artist or done herself, but if you hire a pro, your models will look so much better right from the start.

Cheers,
Kristal

1) She could use more light in her eyes. Her bottom hand is also very distracting. Either have her wrap it around more, keeping the fingers closer together, or have it cropped out. Its just a bit claw like.
2) Good shot - to help avoid some fullness in her chin, have her push her head forward. It feels ridiculous, but it works so well. Watch for clasps on jewellry. And it looks as if you did some skin smoothing on her face and arm, but not her neck.

Nice work overall. One other note, she kinda looks like she got blasted with the makeup shotgun. Right in the face. Not sure if this was a pro makeup artist or done herself, but if you hire a pro, your models will look so much better right from the start.

Cheers,
Kristal

realy realy thanks.... about make up:lol:....... she did that not me!!!!!.....

I have not shot people yet, but I plan to. I don't want this to derail the discussion, but I really would like your opinion.

To me, makeup is a wreck and almost ruins it...well, it does. You acknowlege it, yet pass it off saying it was her choice and she did it. Not meaning anything by it...just stating what's what so far.

So, my question is, as a pro or "hired amature", where is the line when we tell our clients something isn't going to work. Even to the point of not shooting? I know we want to give customers what they want...and usually the mindset is "thats what they wanted so thats what they got".

I guess, in my mind, I'd rather see my name on a quality product than my name on something icky with the disclaimer of "thats what they wanted".

What do you pro's or regular shooters do in those situations.

OP, not saying this case is the extreme like in my quesiton...just something I have been seeing as of late and I thought I'd ask. Your pics are not terrible by any means...I just believe the makeup is way overdone, and I know some people like that.

Cheers,
Kristal

realy realy thanks.... about make up:lol:....... she did that not me!!!!!.....

But you let her. What does that say. She looks like a man. Just saying.

To me, makeup is a wreck and almost ruins it...well, it does. You acknowlege it, yet pass it off saying it was her choice and she did it. Not meaning anything by it...just stating what's what so far.

So, my question is, as a pro or "hired amature", where is the line when we tell our clients something isn't going to work. Even to the point of not shooting? I know we want to give customers what they want...and usually the mindset is "thats what they wanted so thats what they got".

I guess, in my mind, I'd rather see my name on a quality product than my name on something icky with the disclaimer of "thats what they wanted".

I get that your intent isn't to derail the thread, so I'm not going to answer any more than to say "Don't make assumptions about this shoot." It seems as though you are assuming that the OP was paid to do this shoot and you're questioning releasing the final product. My assumption is the opposite, that the OP either paid this model or it was a trade shoot.

Hi... Im trying to take glamour pictures.... i want to know your opinion about lighting posing and post processing

The emphasis added was mine. My take is that this was likely a trade shoot and the OP got exactly what was wanted - a chance to practice lighting, posing, and post processing. Those could have been practiced with a mannequin, or any person standing in; the fact that a model was available is a bonus, and the makeup on that model is irrelevant to those points. So to those points...

Lighting:
The problem I have with the lighting in the first shot is that you've allowed flare from the rim light - which suggests to the viewer that the only/most powerful light source is camera right - yet that side of her face is appreciably darker than the other side. I'd still think the lighting ratio is a little too large, but if you remove that flare the ratio wouldn't appear as obviously off. I agree with Kristal that you need more light in her eyes on that shot. The lighting in the second shot appears better. To me it looks a little hot on her right, and the ratio is still a little large. Glamour lighting tends to be fairly even. Side lighting and uneven ratios create shadows which accentuate rather than minimize imperfections. I personally like the lighting ratio in the second shot for other portraiture, but I think you want it more equal for glamour.

Posing:
I think you did well with the posing. The tilts to the head in each shot work well. You captured the side of her right hand rather than the broad back of it in the first shot, and it looks relaxed despite the severely bent wrist. Posing larger subjects in a flattering way is difficult, particularly women with their curves, and I think you did well here. The only suggestion I have would be to crop the first a bit. If you crop in from the right just enough to remove that bit of breast showing between her arms, and crop up from the bottom to just remove her lower hand, she'll appear even thinner. (And you'll remove the lighting flare I discussed above, IMO also improving the image.)

Post processing:
Honestly, it's always tough to critique someone's post processing without seeing the original image. I can tell you that I generally like what I see (good catch by Kristal about smoothing the neck, also look at her lower hand in the first shot if you don't crop it out). I think her skin looks appropriately smooth for a glamour shot, not too plastic.

I'm no pro with glamour, but I find the background very distracting. A uniform background (probably white) would be a lot better than the stripes.

And... Makeup shotgun... Nearly peed myself. :-D

Edit: aaaaand, the beauty dish is your very best friend on shoots like this. Your lighting ratio, the her left side in #1 need help.

I get that your intent isn't to derail the thread, so I'm not going to answer any more than to say "Don't make assumptions about this shoot." It seems as though you are assuming that the OP was paid to do this shoot and you're questioning releasing the final product. My assumption is the opposite, that the OP either paid this model or it was a trade shoot.

You're right, I had assumed that, didn't consider the alternative. The questions of "releasing the final product" wasn't so much directed at the OP as it was any of you who are reading that deal with such things. This thread just made me think of it as a question I never asked.

Even though the OP didn't ask about the styling and makeup, if he wants to do more glamour work, it is essential that he gets feedback on all aspects. IMO, if this wasn't a paid shoot, its even more important to control the look and styling of the model. Because it is your chance, as an artist, to create the exact look you want. Even when not getting paid, if you make the woman look amazing - thats gonna be $$ in the bank. If you make her look amazing but she also has poorly done makeup for the style of photography, it will repel clients. Not everyone is so smart to realize a technically good photo or pose when they are initially put off by the makeup. That being said, my first reaction was eww. But then I looked at the images a bit more, from a technical point of view, which shows promising work.

PS - Ernicus, I was thinking about your bees today while driving by a big wild flower patch ;)

i Just cant say anything but..... realy thanks for helping me ....... you helping me a lot;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back