Glare from my Rebel XT

enufced904

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been getting this type of glare in some of my photos. It's mainly in low lighting and has occurred even with different lenses. Also, it's normally occurs when the ISO is 200 or higher. Is this normal?

Here's an example:

Taken with my 50mm 1.8
ISO 1600
f 1.8
1/200 s

glare.jpg

Thoughts?

I think you must have some smudges or dirt on your lens causing this. I had a similar issues, and i just cleaned my lens and the glare was gone.

That doesn't seem to be the problem as I always make sure they are clean before I shoot.

lens flare?? try slapping a lens hood on there.. see if that makes a difference..

ISO 1600.

it's called banding I believe, and with crummy sensors (like the one in your XT, and my XTi) high ISO settings equate to banding in low lighting situations. you'll be better served using a slower shutter and lower ISO... or getting a better camera.

Are you talking about the purple lines running across? If yes, how many shutter actuation do you have on your camera?

getting a better camera.

I'm saving for a 40D :mrgreen:... just wasn't sure if there was something wrong with my camera.

Are you talking about the purple lines running across? If yes, how many shutter actuation do you have on your camera?

Yes sir.. I'll have to check. I bought it used so I'm not really sure.

Last edited:
It could be caused by hom many shutter clicks the camera performed. For the XT I believe its 50,000, after that you get noise and banding problems, even at low ISOs

Considering the uniform lines that they make I am also thinking that this is a camera sensor problem and not a lens relaited one. I don't know about sensors dieing after so many shots (I know the shutter can die certainly but not the sensor itself unless you abuse it with a lot of very long exposures - typically running into many minutes and often the sort of thing you only do for astro photography).

First stage I would recomend having the sensor cleaned to make sure its not some smudge/mark on the sensor itself (if you have had it cleaned recently that would explain things). If the problem still remains then it could very well be sensor failure

I got my camera back and it's working great now. I was told that a flex ribbon had a cracked lead internally. I'm not sure what that really means but hopefully it'll serve as an FYI just in case anybody experiences something similar.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back