Glare question

rianbechtold

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I'm new to photography. I got my girlfriend a t1i for christmas and never thought I would get so into it and have so much fun! My pictures are really bad, but it's still alot of fun to me!

Most of my pictures have been of nature and on sunny days. I have ran into a problem with glare and have searched around for some help. The glare I'm getting is "in the lens" almost. Everywhere I look online describes glare from bodies of water, glare from reflective surfaces like glasses etc... I am getting hexagonal glare spots in the middle of some of my photos:(

Here is a pic I took that shows what I mean(sorry for the size):
sr_bench.jpg

Is there anything I can do to eliminate this? I usually shoot with a polarizer on if there is a lot of color (like this pic) but I get the glare with or without it on.

Would one of those flower shaped hoods help? Or do I just need to start facing the other way when shooting:D

Thanks!

Is there anything I can do to eliminate this? ...

Yes, use a lens hood specific to the lens. Also, remove any and all filters.

If you are using a zoom lens at one of its middle or longer settings, particularly one with a wide zoom range, you may need to use a hood other than the manufactures "recommended" hood. You need one that almost vignettes so that it blocks the bright light just out of the picture. Sometimes, though, the source of the bright light that causes these internal reflections is in the picture. In such cases a hood won't help, but removing any filter might.

The hood manufacturers sell for zooms is made to be effective at the wide end of the zoom range. This is because one made to be effective in the middle or long end of the range would vignette at the wide end.

Get a lens hood. The glare you are getting is from direct sunlight hitting the glass of your lens, creating this glare inside your lens. B and H is a great source to purchase one. Make sure it fits your lens size. Same as your filter size.

canon lens hood

Agree with everything said above, but since I didn't see it mentioned, I thought I would add that this specific type of glare is called "lens flare."

If the lens you are using has a rotating front element, you want a solid hood, not the petal type. Not sure on your lens.

p!nK

You guys are fast!

I was thinking I probably just needed a hood.

I noticed Dwig said remove any and all filters. Is this for all shooting or just when in direct sunlight. I know some people are against filters but I've found they can add some good effects (the polarizer makes the greens really pop). Should I try to avoid filters for all shots or just in sunlight?

I did notice one difference with the lens flare with the filter on and that was there were more of them where as with no filter there was a single "flare." Like in this photo:
23779_108690725814418_100000204738772_222559_2044332_n.jpg

I'm assuming the more layers of glass, the more "flares" I'll see?

If the lens you are using has a rotating front element, you want a solid hood, not the petal type. Not sure on your lens.

p!nK

IDK what you mean by that. It is the basic 18-55mm lens that comes with the canons. When adjusting the focus, the end of the lens rotates as well. When I looked at my specific lens, it only has a full body type hood available so I assume it is the type of lens you mention.

IDK what you mean by that. It is the basic 18-55mm lens that comes with the canons. When adjusting the focus, the end of the lens rotates as well. When I looked at my specific lens, it only has a full body type hood available so I assume it is the type of lens you mention.

That is correct. A rotating front element means that the entire front part of the lens rotates when you zoom the lens. They will have full circular hoods whereas lenses that do not have a rotating front element will have the petal hoods most of the time.

Like mentioned, use a lens hood. Also try using your hand or hat or something to further shield the end of the lens. Just be sure what ever you're using isn't in the frame before shooting. ;)

I did notice one difference with the lens flare with the filter on and that was there were more of them where as with no filter there was a single "flare." ...

This is the reason to never use any unnecessary filter. Any filter will always increase flare. Sometimes the increase is trivial, but in situation like the first image posted the increase can be significant.

If the filter is critical to the desired effect (e.g. polarizers to remove reflections or darken skies, ...) then you should use the filter. Otherwise, don't use them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back