Gloss.

Toofasttotake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a question. I've seen pictures of people, and they almost look glossy, shiny- like. Almost like a real-life painting but picture wise. I know it doesn't make a whole bunch of sense, but would this be a photoshop touch up if anything? Maybe messing around with the sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc? Again, i'm new to photography.

specular light brings out the shine on flesh.

This was with natural window light with an 85mm f/1.8. The hard light from the sunlight comming in from the right, while a reflection off a door at the left bounced back some light onto the other side of his face.
2644166654_f0ba21bf64.jpg

This was two flashes below Joe, see how glossy and shiny his face becomes, the hard light creates reflections.
2338249599_cdc31aed0b.jpg

This was dome with a single umbrella just above and to my left where I was standing. It's soft light, but it still has a little bit of a sheen to it.
2643815536_697687beed.jpg

The amount of oil on the skin or kind of makeup (if makeup is used) can make a big difference too. Wetness and sweat too.

Point light, spots, any kind of non-diffuse light, the light intensity, and skin condition are the major factors I think.

I think i understand what you all mean now. Thanks everyone for explaining.

Most reactions

Back