GND filter: What am I doing wrong?

epeddy1

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Newbie question here. I'm going to Hawaii so thought I'd get a GND and polarizer filter for my new WA lens. Taking some quick-n-dirty test shots (I realize exposure isn't proper) I'm noticing some vignetting. Am I doing something wrong? Is it supposed to be that way (and maybe an exposure issue with my test shots)? Is it bad to stack a UV and GND filter (lens -> UV -> GND). Is it bc of the wide angle (at 11mm on a Canon Dx)? Is it a bad egg? Here's the test shots:

1. Lens -> UV only (control)
$IMG_7513_dev3500_1.jpg
2. Lens -> UV -> GND
$IMG_7514_dev3500_2.jpg
3. Lens -> UV -> Polarizer
$IMG_7515_dev3500_3.jpg
4. Lens -> GND (UV removed)
$IMG_7516_dev3500_4.jpg

You can see that #3 doesn't have vignetting, which makes me think it isn't an issue with the stacked filter. But then #4 seems to have some improvement, so maybe it is? The GND is a Fotodiox brand, GND is Tiffin, and UV is Hoya.

Thanks!

Taking some quick-n-dirty test shots (I realize exposure isn't proper)
Well isn't that the purpose of using a GND filter to get even exposure between sky and foreground. So any test shots should be trying to accomplish that.

Is it bad to stack a UV and GND filter
It's not a cardinal sin but it's not the best thing to do. Many people don't even bother to put a uv filter on.

What is the UV filter for?

A UV filter helps to boost flare levels and lower resolution a small amount. It can also help create vignetting, for those pretty slightly darker corners when another filter is screwed onto the front.

What is the UV filter for?

A UV filter helps to boost flare levels and lower resolution a small amount. It can also help create vignetting, for those pretty slightly darker corners when another filter is screwed onto the front.

Dammit. I thought they are for birth control.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back