Go ahead...talk me out of it - old Mamiya 645

MaxBloom said:
I've been looking at the Mamiya 645 system for a while now, and am probably going to purchase one in the next couple months. I looked at all of the 645 models, and after some long deliberation decided to go with a 645 Super or a 645 Pro for a couple reasons. The biggest reason I'm looking at a 645, as opposed to something like an RB67 or a GX680 is weight. The bodies of the newer models are quite a bit lighter, and the metering prism on the 1000s is extremely heavy compared to the AE prism for the Super and Pro models. The other thing that really hooked me are the film backs. I had originally been tempted to spring for the Pentax 645, but the inserts just killed me. I definitely wanted interchangeable backs, something that the 1000s lacks as well.
Yeah, I have a Mamiya Super 23, with both the 6x7 and 6x9 film backs. It's a fuuuuuun camera to shoot, but for me, the film backs are heavy and awkward. Definitely not even a consideration for this go-around. Plus, I don't want to fool around with the dark slide when I'm off hiking around.

Eventually I'll end with a lighter, more modern (read: plastic) body, either Pentax or another Mamiya, because I still want an AF system. That will be the ultimate. But for now, I was pleasantly surprised to learn the 1000S with the 2 accompanying lenses doesn't weigh any more than, say, my Pentax MZ-S with my 85mm lens attached. :lol:

If I get it, I will probably only add the portrait lens and the super wide angle (35mm lens I think) and be pretty happy for the next few years. And let the prices continue to fall on the now-newer models. :thumbup:

Charlie: did you have a 645, or an RB/RZ? Those babies are cannonballs! We shot a lot of weddings with each, and while the pictures were the final argument for the systems, I came to regard them as studio-only cameras. The larger size and weight don't lend themselves well to a hike!

Till now, my only MF forays have been the Agfa Super Isolette and the Holga. What I've wanted to step up to MF that mimics 35mm - something portable, with interchangable lenses, etc. I'm not a big fan of square format, either. Personal preference. ;) 645 answers the call.

I had the 1000 645 brand had the S and I think a J they are all brass and I thought way heavy. My SIL had the new plastic one because he liked the pics with my S and J but hated the weight. I had to agree.

I love square format. Loved my twin lens cameras. I had a big time breakin once, lost everything and had a little shoot a week later, nothing major so a camera store almost gave me a ricoh super... a little 120 tlr with a film counter. I shot the little job with that and a prayer. Then I replaced the mamiya 220 with the 645 system.

Probably the heaviest 120 camera I ever shot was a russian knock off of the 120 built on the slr body on steroids.

But you will like the 645 its compact just I thought very heavy for its size. I shot a wedding once where a guest showed up with an rb67... I was embarrassed I had the 645 which was about half the size. People kept mistaking him for the 'real' photographer... On second thought they might have been right

:lol:

I'm waiting impatiently to see if the little guy is coming home to me :love:

mysteryscribe said:
you do know that is almost retro
....you have seen the rest of the lineup at Beaten Path, right? :lol: This guy would fit right in.

mysteryscribe said:
Gotta get you into cut film next. I think you would look good in cut film... rofl
We have an odd-shaped film holder that Brad has cut some kind of aerial film for, but I haven't done it personally (yet).

btw, the above-mentioned 645 is now mine. I was presented it as a surprise when I got home last night - all cleaned up, lubed, and everything working like new. It's absolutely immaculate looking! :love:

If this rain would ever stop I'd actually go out and play with it! :x

Glad to hear you are getting into MF. There are plenty of great cameras out there and it sounds like you got a nice one.

Read this thread ... http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00GNjg&tag=

This poor fellow wasn't as careful picking out his camera. Repairs are still based on professionals' rates. When buying, you have to concider these were pro cameras and generally pros made money with their equipment, so repairs are still hooked on that premise.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back