Go ahead...talk me out of it - old Mamiya 645

Thanks for that link, Paul. sheesh, that sounds expensive!! :shock:

Overall, I feel I paid a fair price (not a dirt-cheap deal, but fair) considering the excellent shape both body and lenses were (that was before the CLA, too). Cosmetically, the whole system is first-rate. Turns out there was nothing wrong with that prism, either, so it just got some new seals and a good cleaning, and looks even prettier than it did before. :heart:

I played around with those Hoya close up filters; those are going to be fun. :thumbup:

I'm just doing a happy dance that it all turned out, and I am now wondering what my next lens purchase should be.

I know I want the portrait lens for this system, which I believe is the 150mm. There is also a 110, and I'm wondering what would be the better between the two. Anyone have any thoughts?

OH NO! You didn't tell her about them? OMG she's going to spend every cent on lenses now. It'll be all your fault her family gets evicted and they'll have to work for lenses.

Mamiya lenses are top shelf, Nikon has a nicer logo. Either way they aren't slouches at all.

It makes me feel good to find Mamiya lovers. I am the original owner of a Mamiya 645 1000s w/the 45, 80, and 150 lenses, AE and waist level finder, and more filters that I care to count. I even have a 2x converter if anyone has ever seen one of those for the 645. I also have a 120 and 220 back. The great news is that I haven't shot more than 20 rolls of film since I bought it. I used to travel and it was just too heavy to carry so I used a couple of Nikon F2s instead. The bad news is that I want to part with it. It all would be classified as MINT. I even have the original sales slips (which make me really hurt as I know what it might be worth). I am not in a rush to part with it, but the aluminum case is collecting dust. The camera, lenses, and accessories are fine. I am willing to let it go to a great home, and one that I know will take as good of care of it as I have. If seriously interested, drop me a line and I can send you some digital photos.

I'm already having a ball with mine, sorry. :mrgreen:

Piffle on the weight issue. :p It's just not that bad, especially using the grip. The prism viewfinder adds weight, and I can swap it back and forth with the waist level in literally under 30 seconds.

Lenses could be a weight issue, but fortunately (for me) I'm not interested in anything more "telephoto" than the 150mm. Those monster lenses have no appeal to me.

I will also want to add the 35mm lens eventually. :thumbup:

It's lurve, it's lurve, it's lurve. :heart:

Thanks for asking.

Actually, when I traveled, it was almost always by air, so I had a limit on what I could carry on the plane. I took it to AZ a couple of years ago. The case is a little too big to fit in the overhead bins and there was no way I would check it - the flight attendants were nice enough to put it in the 1st class locker. It was the first and last time I attempted a plane trip with it.

I have a confession - my wide angle is a 45mm f2.8, not a 55mm. I just checked.

FormerPhotoBug said:
Thanks for asking.

Actually, when I traveled, it was almost always by air, so I had a limit on what I could carry on the plane. I took it to AZ a couple of years ago. The case is a little too big to fit in the overhead bins and there was no way I would check it - the flight attendants were nice enough to put it in the 1st class locker. It was the first and last time I attempted a plane trip with it.

I have a confession - my wide angle is a 45mm f2.8, not a 55mm. I just checked.
:thumbup: My setup came with a 55mm in excellent condition. I'm happy to have it, but I don't view that lens as "wide angle". ;) I've been looking for the 35mm for that camera. They're out there - expensive right now, but they're out there! :)

I don't like those cases, period. They ARE heavy. I don't mind it for storage, but will shoot and more than likely travel with it in a photo backpack. A size up from the one I have for my 35mm gear should do the trick.

Most reactions

Back