Goalie photo shoot ideas

RedLeg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My 11 yo son is a hockey goalie and every sunday he has goalie camp with another 5-6 other kids and a couple of coaches. The kids have some down time inbetween drills and i wanted to take some creative pictures of all the kids. Unfortunatley, im not very creative and didnt find anything while searching the interweb for ideas. So im asking you guys. I want to do individual photos and a group photo, im also going to do some action shots but ive got that covered. So any suggestions or any examples would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:
Hockey or Soccer?

Nut shots make great pictures.

no, just my D7000 and a few lens, 35mm 1.8 //18-105 & 55-200. Im looking into getting more gear but its going to take time.

My 11 yo son is a hockey goalie and every sunday he has goalie camp with another 5-6 other kids and a couple of coaches. The kids have some down time inbetween drills and i wanted to take some creative pictures of all the kids. Unfortunatley, im not very creative and didnt find anything while searching the interweb for ideas. So im asking you guys. I want to do individual photos and a group photo, im also going to do some action shots but ive got that covered. So any suggestions or any examples would be great.

Thanks,
Tom

Yeah, I find that the number one thing that hampers my creative shots is a lack of creativity. :lmao:

Anyway: Seems obvious, but you never know. Have you tried googling something like "good hockey goalie photos" and seeing what you come up with that would work for kids that age?

In the professional photo gallery I posted a few hockey shots I did, no goalies, though you may get some ideas. It's under quick hockey setups. They were all shot without flash, using just the arena light.

I'm not a pro but I do take a lot of goalie shots. I'm not real creative myself but seeing how they are at practice have them do breakaway drills so you can get some good action shots ?

Feel free to look through my shots for ideas:

High School Hockey - C6Bill

A few examples:

Here are a couple of ideas:
1. This will take some staging but...you get in the net (behind the goalie). The goalie will need to be out of the net, in the crease. This works best with an extreme wide-angle lens. You want a shot that captures what the net would see (if the net could see) of the ice. You put other players scattered around the ice with an approaching puck.

2. Next concept is pre or post practice. Post a goalie with all of his equipment off and laid out in front (as a way of demonstrating all the pads and equipment the position requires).

3. Third concept captures the sense of motion. Put your camera on a tripod. Thus use a relatively slow exposure (maybe 1/15th) and have someone shoot at the goalie. What you want is a black blur of the puck with a relatively stationary goalie (so ideally it would be a glove save).

4. Art concepts...play with DoF (especially a narrow one): shoot a line up of pucks (I imagine that the coaches will line up pucks and shoot them at a goalie to practice a particular save technique). Or focus on the very end of the goalie's stick (so the rest of the stick and the player become a colorful blur). Or if any of the goalies use a cage/wire mask then focus on the wire so the face is more of a blur. Or look for patterns (like a pile of duffle bags of equipment, a series of sticks all together, a lineup of players all turned toward a coach (and you focus on their skate blades).

thanks for the examples and ideas, its got my brain going. here is one i took this year, it was taken through the glass. im trying to talk the wife into getting the 70-200 2.8 but its going to take a lot of convincing.

11501397815_7d4a577e58_b.jpg

Hi Tom
I got your email but it looks like you have email from other members turned off. Anyways, the last two weeks I have been shooting with an old Tamron 300 MM f/2.8. It is a little overkill for the local rinks down here on the South Shore but I can get some good closeups. This is my second season shooting hockey so I still have much to learn. But I typically use my 70-200 f/2.8 and it usually more than enough reach.

just have the kids post up in front of the goal and do their best bad ass goalie stance. Let them have fun with it and it will come out good.

Most reactions

Back