Going back to Nikon....

MarkV1184

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So for a few months I've been shooting with a Sony a700 and it's been great. However, with small lens upgrades and additions here and there, I've noticed how limited and expensive the lens market is for the Sony Alpha mount.

To make a long story short, I have a buyer lined up for my Sony a700 and everything else and would love to go BACK to Nikon (former D60 shooter). In comparison to the Sony a700, which Nikon is just as similar? I'm trying debating between the D90 or the D300.... is the D300 worth that much more than the D90?

Well from what I have found the D90 is a dream and yet my Uncle thinks the D300 blows it out the water. I am very please with the D90 and dont think I will ever need more unless I am getting paid to take pictures on day!

What are your plans. Are you shooting professional or as a hobby.

Professional I would say try to get the D300 if you can afford it plus the cost of a few lenses.

Hobby I would say go with the D90 and gets some great glass!

So for a few months I've been shooting with a Sony a700 and it's been great. However, with small lens upgrades and additions here and there, I've noticed how limited and expensive the lens market is for the Sony Alpha mount.

To make a long story short, I have a buyer lined up for my Sony a700 and everything else and would love to go BACK to Nikon (former D60 shooter). In comparison to the Sony a700, which Nikon is just as similar? I'm trying debating between the D90 or the D300.... is the D300 worth that much more than the D90?

I am admittedly a total noob who doesn't even own an SLR. So I feel more than entitled to speak up. :lol:

Everyone on here says glass first. So maybe skimp on the body, and invest in glass first, then lighting then body. I'm just saying, maybe a 70-200 2.8 or so (I don't know how much those are) on a D90 would be a better setup than an 55-200 on a D300. I don't know what lenses you have, and that's not really the point. Its the idea behind it.

I know if I had my way, I'd have about three SB-900s or 580 EXs depending on which route I go... :)

Well I am kinda new too... I have had my D90 for a month and I am still learning alot. If this is your first DSLR then go with the D90 and get the good glass. How much are you planning to spend?

Well I am kinda new too... I have had my D90 for a month and I am still learning alot. If this is your first DSLR then go with the D90 and get the good glass. How much are you planning to spend?

I'm not exactly new, but I'm not exactly anywhere near professional either. It's not my first DSLR, but I think I've gotten so used to the a700 quality that I'm leaning more towards the D300 since they are the comparative bodies. However, I only have about $1700 to play with, so a D90 with a nice wide angle and a nifty fifty would be great.

I think the D90 will surprise you alot. I really wanted the D300 too and my uncle was leaning on me hard to get it but then I would not have much for lenses. I am glad I went with the D90! No regrets. The more lenses the better As long as you do not buy crap lenses!

Dont need to be the best but lenses are Atleast even with the body for which is most important!

Image quality wise they are about identical, some have said the D90 is a little better at higher ISO.

The main difference is the body and a few features - if you need them then the D300 is what you want, if not - get the D90 and save some money.

Some of the features the D300 has over the D90:
9 shot bracketing vs 3
Faster frames per second
Will meter older lenses
Weather resistant body

D90 does video, D300 does not.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head at 5:15am :lol:

I think you'll be pleased whichever route you take!

For what it's worth, I have the D90 and wouldn't trade it for a D300 even if it was an even swap.

I can vouch for the D300. It's a great camera.

Thom Hogan's D90 Review will give you some of the differences between the two bodies. Of course, he also reviewed the D300 too.

But as mentioned already, don't stretch your dollars on the body when it should be put towards better lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back