Going Digital: Which DSLR?

myopia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, I have been using Nikon AF film SLR cameras and prime lenses forever. I scan my film with a Nikon 8000 scanner. I am wondering if I get something like a Nikon D100, D70, etc, will I see a drop in quality from what I am used to? I dont print over 8x10 and use my medium format for 11x14, so the resolution (megapixels) is not important as long as it's 6 MP +. I only have $300 for the camera, so that is why I am sticking with the older models. Also, how is the high ISO performance on these cameras? I like shooting high ISO black and white film, so I was hoping the 800 ISO would look okay.
Let me know if you know anything.
Thanks,

-Sam W.

where are you finding d70's and d100's for $300?
I just ran a google search and the cheapest I saw one going for was $700.

Hell, I'd go with d40.

Hell, I'd go with d40.

Used I'm assuming.

OP - Nikon's older bodies used CCD sensors which were notorious for creating more noise in images at higher ISO's. If you want cheap and something that's better at higher ISO's, check out Canon. Most of their stuff has the CMOS sensors in them as they switched early.

A Canon 20D is 8mp, uses a CMOS chip, and costs about $300-$400 used, iirc.

$300 for a used DSLR isn't going to give you a lot of choices.

If you're set on Nikon, it would be wise to save and look for something a bit newer if you're plannin on using high ISO's and not creating your own light.

Hell, I'd go with d40.

D70's go for less then $300 on ebay. I'd pick it over the d100 which is slower.

As for quality expect approximately the same since you're scanning your own film, high-grade film professionally scanned would be better then a d70.

If you have any old non-cpu lenses you may want to consider a d200, which will meter with these older lenses. The d200 is also a significant upgrade from the d70 in every other way.

D70 > D100.

For quality, nice professional 35mm film is about 4-5 times the quality of even the top-of-the-line D3X, it's why professional landscape photographers have stuck with large-format film even through the advent of digital.

That said, digital is important, but for quickie stuff - D70 is a decent choice, and don't expect to throw out your film gear any time soon.

D70 > D100.

For quality, nice professional 35mm film is about 4-5 times the quality of even the top-of-the-line D3X, it's why professional landscape photographers have stuck with large-format film even through the advent of digital.

Well... that's a bit of an exaggeration. 35mm film is about equal to 24 MP digital (D3X). But medium format (120/220) film is like 100 MP if developed well and shot with a good lens. And as for Large format... there's no comparison unless you are comparing a $500 view camera with a digicam with a $50,000 Phase One scanning back.

Anyways, to answer your question, I'd recommend the D70. And I don't recommend swithing to Canon at all. If you're used to Nikon and have Nikon lenses, then stick with Nikon.

Ive got a D70 and have been shooting on it for the last 6 months and it has seemed to fit me needs pretty well i my vote goes to the D70 b/c it is newer then the D100

What about the Nikon D80? Its got a 4mp advantage on the D70 and is within your budget (just)

Most reactions

Back