Going digital.

gender bombs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been thinking lately, and I really want to switch over to digital, or at least use digital on the side. First, I have a few questions. How often to the digital SLR cameras need to be updated? Do they crash easily? Is it dumb to buy one off of e-bay. I feel like right when I get one, something new and beautiful is going to come out, but hey, that happens with everything. Will a digital camera be able to work as long as my film camera has? (20 years)

Q. How often to the digital SLR cameras need to be updated?

A. As often as you want. Though a new upgrade does come out once a year, or once every couple of years, you don't necesserily have to upgrade. Only if you want to.

Q. Do they crash easily?

A. Depends of course on what camera you own. But generally, no they don't crash easily. I own an Olympus E1. This is one amazing camera, built litterally like a tank. It's also completely weatherproof, which is nice because here in Canada we tend to get extreme weather a lot ;)

Q. Is it dumb to buy one off of e-bay?

A. I've never baught anything off of ebay, so i have no idea. It is always, of course, better to buy brand new (unused) products.

Q. Will a digital camera be able to work as long as my film camera has? (20 years)

A. Defidentally! Of course, the technology will be outdated. But it will defidentally still be usable.

I recommend you take a look at the Olympus E1. It's an amazing camera IMO. It's big, strong, built like a tank, is completely weatherproof (can be in weather from -40 degrees celcius to +40 degrees celcius, and is water/splash proof). It takes amazing quality photos with awesome colours. This is the type of camera where you can just take pictures and get them developed right away, instead of having to place them all on a computer and get them edited with Photoshop, which a lot of other digital cameras/dSLRs sort of "require" you to do. This is a $2000-$3000 camera which is now being sold for around $1000 or less (with the 14-45mm lens). I'm guessing because of the fact that it is a 3 year old camera.

How often to the digital SLR cameras need to be updated?

Like you said, there is always going to be a fancy new DSLR coming out. It probably depends on how much the photographer feels the latest technology and gizmos help their photography.

I think it's interesting that the new Canon 30D is really sort of a 20Dn. Some new features, but the same sensor; the biggest upgrade seems to the cheaper MSRP.

Do they crash easily?

My Canon 20D crashed the first time I turned it on, but never since.

Will a digital camera be able to work as long as my film camera has? (20 years)

Depends on the film camera. I think my DSLR will have a similar lifespan as a similar quality, modern, electronic 35mm SLR. I don't expect any consumer electronic device to last 20 years, but with the right care I'm sure they could.

i have had an old digital camera now for 7 years and it is going strong so now with technology going the way it is i can imagine the new models lasting a long time, i have a fuji finepix S9500 i know its not an SLR but it was made to give the SLR cameras a run for there money so if you are considering a new digital camera check out this one too also digital is far better in my opinion.

:lovey:

I wouldn't have thought any digital consumer item would be much cop in 20 years time. There will be some uber image capturing devices by then that will make your 20 year old digital camera pretty much obsolete.

Mohain said:
I wouldn't have thought any digital consumer item would be much cop in 20 years time. There will be some uber image capturing devices by then that will make your 20 year old digital camera pretty much obsolete.

I disagree with what people are saying. Advances made in the future for digital cameras I suspect won't be great enough to make cameras of now obsolete. MP will increase but really that makes little difference. We're at 35mm film already and medium format is there or nearly really. With 39mp backs. There's the "focus after you have taken" technology that will probably be around in 20 years but really thats not enough to make something obsolete just handy if you miss a focus.

digi is a great investment. sure it costs more, but you're saving money on the film you would use. as for upgrades, you don't have to if you don't want to, never seen a cam that HAD to be upped. buying on ebay, i say is a nono. usually two categories of seller: 1) scammer, leaves out key details about damage to the camera. makes a just passable description and reels you in. responds to furious complaints with a child-like shrug of innocence. 2) the "OMG THAT's AN AMAZING DEAL!" package seller, sells large amounts of equipment bundled with the cam. if you don't read the fine print, you'll be receiving a camera body, the tripod, lenses, bag, etc. are just "compatible", or must be purchased with the camera but seperately (i.e. auction price is for camera, accesories must be paid for by themselves). Of course there are reputable, honest sellers, but they're hard to pick out. i recommend that you buy from Ritz/Wolf, B&H and places like that online. ebay is too risky.

g'luck.

Mohain said:

I'd agree with that. I reckon in 20 year my Pentax K1000 will still be going strong (assuming you can still buy film then, of course!), but my I'll probably have gone through several DSLR's!

slickhare said:
digi is a great investment. sure it costs more, but you're saving money on the film you would use. as for upgrades, you don't have to if you don't want to, never seen a cam that HAD to be upped. buying on ebay, i say is a nono. usually two categories of seller: 1) scammer, leaves out key details about damage to the camera. makes a just passable description and reels you in. responds to furious complaints with a child-like shrug of innocence. 2) the "OMG THAT's AN AMAZING DEAL!" package seller, sells large amounts of equipment bundled with the cam. if you don't read the fine print, you'll be receiving a camera body, the tripod, lenses, bag, etc. are just "compatible", or must be purchased with the camera but seperately (i.e. auction price is for camera, accesories must be paid for by themselves). Of course there are reputable, honest sellers, but they're hard to pick out. i recommend that you buy from Ritz/Wolf, B&H and places like that online. ebay is too risky.

g'luck.

Totally disagree with you there regarding Ebay

99% of people on ebay are genuine folk who are selling on their equipment to help fund an upgrade. I sold my Canon Digital Rebel on EBay to some lucky fellow in Cornwall i think it was. I was neither a "scammer" nor a "package seller". I was an average Joe selling my camera in excellent condition to help fund my 20D. The places you refer to ARE scammers but they're usually easy to spot and they don't normally sell on Ebay.

The guy who bought my camera got it for around £380 with the kit lens. It was about 15months old and had around 5500 frames on it. He'll still be using it taking good shots.

Admittedly you can get ripped off on Ebay but there are some great deals to be had. I wouldn't rule it out but for a large purchase i'd be inclined to meet face to face if possible rather than send off the money and then wait.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back