Going for a Walk around NYC... Help?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I want to bring my camera along on my trip to NYC but i don't know which lens to bring. I don't want to bring my camera bag or anything, just the camera, but unsure about the lens. I will probably want to shoot some buildings, some portraits with interesting buildings/whatever else (i've only been to NYC once) and other interesting sightings. I have a Canon 80D for my body and have an 18-55 STM, 50mm 1.8 STM and 55-250 STM. I'm thinking most will tell me to grab the 18-55. I tend to favor my 50mm but my fear is that in cramped streets with people i won't be able to pull back very far and i will be traveling with small children as well so having as many eyes on them as possible is a must. I haven't shot out in the streets with a 50mm (80mm equiv on my body) much so i don't know if that's the lens for me... the 18-55 is a 29-88 equiv and the 55-250 (which i doubt anybody is going to recommend) would be 88-400 (if nobody wanted to do the math). So, what do you all think?

18-55. The bigger zoom is too big for street and the longer range ought to have a tripod. You also could take the 50mm and stick it in your pocket. Try it and if it works for you then you have it available. You probably will find that something wider than 50mm is better for a lot of closer street shots.
My NYC shots. Street

Let me clarify what I said. When I was referring to 50mm, I was referring to its use as a 50mm with 1x magnification. Since it's really a 80mm equivalent in your camera, it's even less necessary since you have the zoom 18-55. You definitely need to be carrying something much wider for streets, so I would definitely stick with the 18-55m zoom. Keep it simple. Stick the zoom on and just concentrate on content, framing and lighting and enjoy yourself with your family. NYC, my hometown, is really great place to visit. It's exciting, stimulating, street shots never end, and the people are really friendly. Have a lot of fun.

Agree with @AlanKlein , take the 18-55. There will be many chances to get shots of your family, and you'll appreciate the wider 18mm focal length. You might find that in some situations, you won't have the ability to back up to get more room. At the other end, you may find the 55 to be "just enough" to get what you want. If not, you can always crop to what you need (unless you're printing huge).

With the 18-55, you'll still be able to use the 50mm FL you like. If you do prefer longer focal lengths, see if you can bring along your 55-250 (in a backpack or jacket pocket). I'd personally leave the 55-250 at home, and I wouldn't even think about the 50mm prime. I'm a sucker for zooms for travel, though.

Every time I've walked around NYC with my camera, I had my either my 18-55 (when I took my Canon) or my 12-40mm (when I currently take my Olympus).

A tamron 18-400 would be nice... lol

I walked NYC recently with a 17mm and a 70-200. The long reach was only useful at the zoo and a boat ride. a short zoom will suffice for most pictures you want to take.

New to flash as well. Haven't used one outdoors. Any reason to bring one?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back