Going for it

morydd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.morydd.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've decided to go digital. I've got a budget of around $1200 (US). But I need some help with the shopping list.
I have:
Canon Elan7
Canon EF 28-80 f/3.5-5.6
Tamron AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 LD Macro 1:2

Here's what I think I need:
Canon 20D
Spare Battery
Battery Charger
1G memory card (x2)

Here's what I think I want:
Wider lens (18-55?)
UV filter (that's an automatic for me with any lens)
Flash (no idea what I'm looking for here)
Bag (the one I have holds what I've got but doesn't have room for a second body. Do I want to go with a smaller bag to just hold the digital, or go the other route and get a bigger bag to hold _everything_?)
Card Reader
Printer? (Is this worth it, or should I just pay someone to print for me?)

Anything missing from my list? Anything on the list just a waste? Any suggestions for the lens and the flash?

I appreciate being able to pick your brains. Thanks.

Looks good to me although I personally would add a tripod.
- Flash, I'd stick with canon. EX line is must for compatibility with the 20D. Current top model is the 580EX which is a bit pricey.. perhaps you can find a used 550EX.
- Print vs order. Depends... how much control do you want over your prints? For most, sending it online is perfectly fine. Check out mpix.

Tripod is covered. I've got one I like pretty well. As far as prints, for the time being, I'm not super picky, so I'll probably stick with on-line. Thanks.

have you thought about selling your film stuff? or at least those lenses? that would REALLY help, as the lens you buy will affect your images' quality more than the camera. I'm not sure how much you could get for those lenses though, so it might just be a toss-up.

For a spare battery, check this place:
http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/ln03-canon-bp-511-dlc511.html

it's apparently longer-lasting than the canon counterparts, and much cheaper.

for filters, grab a B+W, Hoya SMC or Pro-1 Digital, or a tiffen UV filter if you want some of the bigger brands. As far as flashes go, I agree that you should stick with canon. I don't think you have the budget for it right now though, and I don't think it's necessary most of the time.

I replied to someone else's post about bags earlier...this is just my opinion, but I recommend getting slightly used (but mint condition) bags from ebay or camera stores to get the best deals. Get a name-brand larger bag to fit everything with more space for new equipment, like a Tamrac or Lowepro. Then get a cheap quantaray or no-name-brand little one for carrying around a camera and a lens or two just on the street. just make sure it's one you're comfortable with and like to carry.

card reader - if you don't already have a CF port in your PC or Mac (?), then you'll definitely want one of these. they're faster than the usb through the camera chord.

printers - IMO the only way to really justify printing yourself is if you are a pro that has special requirements or prints a TON. i think your best bet would be to get prints from mpix.com. their prints are terrific.

there are several lenses I could suggest, but after buying a cf card and extra battery, you won't have any money left over for one unless you sell your current stuff. unless there is money you have that you didn't tell us about :). I wouldn't recommend the kit lens (18-55) from canon at all. it's pretty dang bad in most situations.

Whoooo... After much waiting, I've got the money on the way to finally go digital. I think I've settled on the Canon 30D. I am going to get a flash as well. I would like to get a camera for my wife as well, but I haven't quite figured out which route to go with that. Do we want something small for "everyday" snapshots. Or something more SLR like so she can learn about things like shutter speed while I'm hogging the "good" camera. We either want very compact, or something with at least aperture priority and a hot shoe.

Decisions decisions.

will your wifes camera be digital as well? if you're going to buy a camera with a hotshoe and manual settings you'll be paying a fair amount more...and you might as well buy a dslr.

you could buy a nice film slr for alot cheaper...

Ah but he already has a film SLR. So you could use both the film and digital SLRs and share the lenses between you - assuming neither you or your wife are particularly opposed to still shooting film. The money saved not buying another digital camera could go towards some nice glass.

Ah but he already has a film SLR. So you could use both the film and digital SLRs and share the lenses between you - assuming neither you or your wife are particularly opposed to still shooting film. The money saved not buying another digital camera could go towards some nice glass.

ope, didn't realize that.

good points

The money saved not buying another digital camera could go towards some nice glass.
The primary reason I'm going digital at all though is because I spend far too much money on film and processing. I shoot film as if it were digital and throw away a huge amount.
My current plan is to keep B&W film and learn to develop the negs at least again. (I did it several years ago in school).

will your wifes camera be digital as well? if you're going to buy a camera with a hotshoe and manual settings you'll be paying a fair amount more...and you might as well buy a dslr.

I don't think we quite have the budget for 2 DLSRs (although I've considered it.) We looked at the XT for her, but she really doesn't like the feel of it in her hand. So we're still looking.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far.

I ordered:
Canon 20D w/ Kit lens (Yeah, I know... but until I make a little money at this, I need practice more than I need the good glass.)
Spare Battery
(2) 1G CF cards
Canon 430EX Speedlight

Whoooo!

Next week, I'll probably suddenly start posting pictures.

congrats, i don't think you'll be disappointed, that's pretty much my same setup, and i love it. the only thing I could recommend is a diffuser for the flash (omnibounce or similar) or maybe a stroboframe, i really like being able to flip it up for portrait (vs landscape) shooting.

I'm a theater lighting tech, so I'll probably be gathering scrap gels and diffusuion and making a holder to use them on the flash. I've been reading a lot of Strobist so I'm hoping to do some fun things with lighting soon. I figure some of the smaller stuff, it makes more sense to pick up locally and avoid the shipping once I figure out what I really want/need.

Oh, scrap lighting gels. Thats a good idea! I'll have to grab a couple next time we chuck em. :D

I wonder if the ones in swatch books would be big enough? Nothing like getting 300+ for free. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back