Going full time

Robin_Usagani

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Yup.. I am now a full time photographer. Right after I bought a 5D3, I got laid off :grumpy:. So I am a full time photographer, not by choice. I will be a fulltime until I find a job LOL. Unfortunately my photography business has not matured enough where I can go full time for good.

LIVIN THE AMERICAN DREAM!

You never know what can happen now you have to focus (excuse the pun) on making a living off photography until something else turns up. It may be that it goes great and you will never have to do anything else. Good luck

I bet your boss is a turd. lol.

I'd rather work for myself any day and everyday. Good luck with it man, it's rough out there for certain being self employed.

;-)

As long as you can get by financially this could be a really good thing. I remember when I got laid off last year i was able to pick up so much and learn so much just having all the extra free time to spend on photography. As long as you have the self disipline to get up every morning and go to "work" so to speak. I got worried that i'd be sleeping in late and just slacking off. but in 6 months time of being out of work I never once slept in and soaked up as much as I could. Good luck.

Bummer! You'll spring back, good luck!

Maybe it's a wake up call. Should start building up the photography business and always have it as a good backup. Hope you'll find a new job soon and continue to grow your photography business.

Going only by your work I've seen on TPF, I thought you already were a full-time photographer. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear of your job loss, Robin.

Unfortunately my photography business has not matured enough where I can go full time for good.

I think you're selling yourself short. I understand what you're saying but you are truly the one person who has grown huge leaps and bounds and can hold their own in the relatively short time you've been doing this. Maybe this job loss is the one kick in the butt you need to get you to the next level you want to be at? You're a determined individual. I have no doubt you will recover and succeed in whatever you do.

I am sorry to hear that Robin. What occupation are you in besides photography? Everything happens for a reason though. I wish you luck in your new endeavors. By the way, how do you like your new camera?

I can't tell you how many people I know who tried for YEARS to have a successful "side" business but "needed" to keep their "real" job, only to lose their real job and end up far better off for it. Of the eight people that immediately come to mind, only one has not fared as well with their business as they were doing with the full-time job. And that might have something to do with the triple bypass surgery they ended up having, at 42 years old.

This is an opportunity for you to decide what you WANT to do--if what you want is to be a FT Photographer, then take this opportunity and make the most of it. Put as much (actually, MORE) energy, research and effort into building your business as you'd put into finding another job, and see where it goes.

I realize that you have those adorable little girls to think about too, but one of the best lessons MY daddy ever taught me (though he didn't actually DO it himself) was to not settle for a job that pays the bills but doesn't interest you. Though he spent his entire working life doing exactly that, he always encouraged us to find what we loved and do it, even if it meant a few financial struggles here and there.

In short--GO FOR IT!!

Good luck Robin! After watching your 2012 video, I can't say that I'm surprised. You produce lovely images. :thumbup:

Good luck, Robin! I occasionally get asked to do some shoots (weddings) I DO NOT want to do.. lol, I will pass them on to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back