Going on vacation... Need advice with equipment!

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello!

I will be going on vacation in about a months time. The destination is St. Petersburg, Russia.

I know I will have some really good photo opportunities over there and I want to come prepared!;)

So, I am upgrading from a simple P&S Kodak to a Canon 20D. I have already bought the camera, and I'm now planning to buy a Canon EF 24-105 L-series IS USM Lens.

OK, so that is my set up and I am now looking at filters. BTW, I'm on a budget!
I would like to get some really good quality filters, but I cannot decide if I should just get a really good quality Circular Polarizer like the B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer MRC Filter

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/77mm-Circular-Polarizer-MRC-Filter/dp/B0000BZLAD/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header]Amazon.com: B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer MRC Filter: Camera & Photo[/ame]

or a cheaper B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Slim Filter

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/77mm-Circular-Polarizer-Slim-Filter/dp/B0000BZLAE/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top]Amazon.com: B+W 77mm Circular Polarizer Slim Filter: Camera & Photo[/ame]

or B+W 77mm Circular Polarizing Filter NEW F-PRO CPL

B+W 77mm Circular Polarizing Filter NEW F-PRO CPL - eBay (item 370396394589 end time Jun-20-10 18:18:06 PDT)

If I get one of the cheaper ones I might be able to get a ND filter

Either B&W 77mm ND 0.6-4X #102 NEUTRAL DENSITY Filter 77 mm

B&W 77mm ND 0.6-4X #102 NEUTRAL DENSITY Filter 77 mm - eBay (item 310227397024 end time Jul-16-10 21:11:37 PDT)

or a B&W 77mm GRADUATED NEUTRAL DENSITY Filter ND 0.6-4X

B&W 77mm GRADUATED NEUTRAL DENSITY Filter ND 0.6-4X 502 - eBay (item 300425205740 end time Jul-05-10 21:00:09 PDT)

If anyone could please give me some advice concerning which filters I might need in Russia, I would be very grateful!

Here are some examples on what I shot in Russia last time:

Panoramio - Photos by ????????? ?????????? > Russia

Many thanks in advance!:thumbup:

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would buy the better polarizer filter and forget the ND filter but that's my opinion. Since you are buying a series L lens you are trying to get the best possible photos, which is why I suggested the better polarizer. I personally didn't think I used a ND filter but I did find I had one in my old camera bag as I was packing up my film SLR for my DSLR. My only thoughts were that I used it to cut the light for a certain type of water shot but I really can't remember ever using it .... it was also at least 25 years ago.

Polarizers will make the sky "pop" and be able to cut through surface reflections in windows and water; both uses depends on the angle of the light. I recently bought a polarizer for my new camera and was amazed on how much different the sky looked when I dialed in the amount of polarization I wanted; even the clouds became more detailed IMO ... I forgot how well they worked.

Thanks for the advice! I'm kind of leaning in the direction of a better polarizer now. Any specific type you would recommend?

B+W is supposed to be a great name, Hoya Pro are supposed to be great as well. I bought a Heliopan, that was the ony manufacturer that my local camera shop had that was "good" and it seemed to work well. I was totally unimpressed with the local shop - won't be going back again.

I will assume that the front lens won't rotate so pick up a circular polarizing filter and dial in the amount you want with it on the lens.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back