Going pro. Equipment advice.

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A friend asked me to be the photographer at their wedding since their original photographer bailed. He's seen my work so he knows I can produce quality work, dispite the fact this is my first wedding or receiving any compensation for taking photographs. I know I'm going to need a few things in the equipment department.....I'm thinking another lens and maybe something as far as helping out the lighting situation in low light reception areas.

In addition to the extra battery, about 10-2 gig SD cards, what else is basically essential for a successfull shoot?

My equipment now is a D40x with Sb400 speedlight
Leses are 18-55 mm f/3.5
55-200mm f4
If I could add one more lens to the mix, which should it be? And what should I do about lighting? I know the sb 400 is ok, but is it enough to do the trick?

Thanks for any help in advance.

if the wedding is indoors you'll want at least a 2.8 lens.

Yes, I would certainly want to add a fast lens. Maybe a 50mm F1.8 or somthing shorter...a 24mm, 28mm or 35mm.

Also, what about back up? Beg, borrow, rent...I would highly recommend that you have a backup body (and maybe a backup flash as well).

Yes I was thinking the exact same thing with a 50mm 1.8.

I was also thinking of a back up body....although haven't got that problem solved yet, as far as how I'm going to obtain it.

I've been trying to find places that rent camera equipment, does Wolf or Ritz camera rent anything out?

Oh yeah, where can I find a 50mm 1.8? I didn't see any on B&H :confused:

ACK! That 50mm isn't a AF-S/I so no good :(. Might go with the 24-70 f/2.8.

I already have a 55-200mm VR but its f/4-5.6, it's a great lens outdoors, but I don't know if i can justify buying the same lens at a lower f (then I'd never use my current 55-200mm).

The first thing I would have is a backup body. You can get glass as you go and should invest in good glass. But I can tell you from personal experience, it sucks when one of your cameras stops working in the middle of shooting something.

I was in the middle of shooting an event a while back and my D2H died on me. I did not have time to figure out the problem, but simply switch to my D200 and keep shooting. If you go with only one body, a failure will happen and probably at the worst moment.

If you are shooting for friends, they will be pissed you did not get the shots. If you are shooting for a client, you'll get sued.

Back up body. More than one if possible. Glass at or under 2.8. (Long and wide)
LOTS of batteries.

Best of luck. Let us know how it goes. :)

Most reactions

Back