Going through Customs..

Goldeeno

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
goldeeno.zoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, going Austria, lucky me on sat, and im taking my camera stuff with me. Only been on a plane twice, and never took a camera either time. Just wondered if all the gear os ok going through x ray etc?
Got it all in a lowpro backpack, and will be taking it hand luggage.

Ps, i fancy taking a few photos out the windows on the flight, is this normally ok?

Just wondered if all the gear os ok going through x ray etc?
It will be just fine.

i fancy taking a few photos out the windows on the flight, is this normally ok?
I don't see why not.

Awesome, thanks Big Mike... just wanted to check before i send the new 100-400mm lens through to find it comes out as ash on the other side :D.

As long as you don't whip out the camera where they tell you not to...you'll be fine. Also, you can ask for a handcheck...and most places will do it. I would, because last time I took my digicam over to hawaii, it broke on the way there somehow...

Ps, i fancy taking a few photos out the windows on the flight, is this normally ok?

The steward/ess will do thier preflight and prelanding safety checks. Leave your camera in the seat hanger until she bugs off and locks herself in both on take off and landing. Then you can do what you like camerawise - discretely.

If you're flying on a 737 then ask for seat 14F (only available at check in because it's an emergency seat). It's over the right wing that you can use for a feature in your shots and it has no seat in front of you so you can slump out on the seat. Enjoy the alps. :thumbup:

Awesome, thanks Big Mike... just wanted to check before i send the new 100-400mm lens through to find it comes out as ash on the other side :D.

All your gear can go onboard, you don't even have to bag it. Just don't go bigger than the onboard baggage size allowance, no camera back pack does.

P.S. Don't be an ass with security about "how precious" your kit is, they've heard it all a zillion times over. Just keep inside the 7kg + certain dimensions rules and your clear.

P.P.S shouts out to Sideburns and his lifetime worldly advice and guidance, as useful as ever. -keep racking up that post score bro.

Cheers i think we have booked seats?? Hes says... but i will try. Thanks Nossie i will :D

Personally, I would want to avoid a seat by the wing...it just gets in the way when you want to see or take a photo out of the window.

Personally, I would want to avoid a seat by the wing...it just gets in the way when you want to see or take a photo out of the window.

Yeah but Mike pictures from 5 miles always end up looking the same, a little blob of something called something but if you can use the wing and winglet for a little foreground it sometimes helps.

Let's settle it like nerds... I'll go start a thread about plane portal snaps hehe

I read something recently about traveling abroad with your gear. I'll try to dig it up, but the gist of the story was to get a declaration form from the airport authority and list your gear. This will be handy on your return as far as possibly having to pay duty taxes for buying gear abroad for stuff that's already yours.

I'll check back in if I can find the article.

In the past week I took 5 flights with my camera on my back and had no problems in any of the airports.

Let's settle it like nerds... I'll go start a thread about plane portal snaps hehe
Yikes! :shock: There's going to be a shooting! Somethings going to get photographed today! :lol:

Feels like the old wild west round here....

I never had any bigger problems with my gear in the customs. But you should be prepared to open up your bag and let them check EVERY single gadget in your bag. Last time the guy checking my bag had a trainee by his side. The good thing was that the guy was an amateur photographer (he told me) and he handled my stuff with great care and respect and instructed his trainee to always be very careful with camera equipment. The downside was that it took ages to clear customs. :-S

Try not to fly with those tiny McDonnell-Douglass airplanes they use for short distances. If you do you can forget about taking anything but the clothes on your back on board with you. Instead you will be helplessly watching how someone gets paid to mishandle your gear in every way possible.

Also, try not to fly to the US, the customs personnel checking your luggage gets crazier by the minute. I can tell you a horror story how some genius had taken my computer apart (a desktop I was transporting as checked luggage), and then had put it back together in the most incompetent way possible. Needless to say the harddrive died shortly after.

Most reactions

Back