Going to buy the 5d mark ii

rdzmzda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok im going to buy th 5d mark ii and not sure what would be some good lenses for it. I stumbled across a Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Autofocus Lens and bought it (got a good deal on it couldnt pass it up). So from my previous thread I am looking to shoot everything but mostly wildlife and people just everyday in life main focus. So can anyone recomend some other very good lenses for this camera not to expensive not really interested in spending more than 1.5k usd on lenses. Aside from teh one i already bought obviously. Thanks

oh also on a side note anyone know where they hae these cameras in stock and i can buy now and not have to wait a month plus?

If you're going to spend some $2600 or whatnot on a nice body, don't buy a crappy piece of glass. Depending on you're needs, get an IS L Lens for sure. Whatever your mm needs may be, just dont spend like $500 on bad glass with a nice camera.

I don't think they've been released yet.
If you're looking for something in a range similar to that 70-300, consider a 70-200mm f/4L. The non-IS version sells for pretty cheap used. I purchased one in outstanding condition for little more than $500. It is sharp and the constant aperture is heavenly. =]

That lens you bought, I gave away. Hope you did not pay more than $75 for it.

1.5K usd will just barely fit you into a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS L series... an excellent choice! And the lens I will most often be paring with the 5DmII.

Not sure WE will even be able to get one this year,... lots of pre-orders! A guy at the camera shop said that supposedly there are only half a dozen on US soil right now.. and I lucky me, I got to grope one twice!

The 'kit' lens for the 5DmII, is actually a 24-105mm L image stabilized series lens!!! You can 'save' about $200 bucks by ordering it with the camera.

-Shea

For $1.5k I'd get the 70-200 f/2.8L IS. It would be a great compliment with the 24-105 f/4L. However, if you're considering a $150 lens on that 5D Mark II body, you might should be looking into a lesser camera to get started. It'll take a person who actually used the $150 lens to appreciate the $1500 lens.

wow im not saying that lens was good please dont take that i gave like 30 bucks for it thats y i picked it up if nothing else its just something to toy with.....so please dont misconstrue what im trying to say.....so whats better then 1 1500 lens or 2 750 lenses? i mean at the end of the day im not making money off this...but who knows one day i might

One $1,500 lens - the 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM L

If you have any other EF (not EFS) lenses to round out your ranges then great, if not I'm sure you will enjoy that 70-200 and can save up the the 24-70 f/2.8 (non IS) or 24-105 f/4 IS.

Of course I've already pointed out the you can get the $1,100 - $1,200 24-70 for $800 if you kit it, but of course you (WE) are looking at $5K plus tax for that dream rig. Also some spendy 77mm filters are in order, a few memory cards, extra battery, battery grip? Etc..

Remember to keep all lens packaging and receipts (wc depending on state) so if you find yourself needing some cash 6 months or a year from now, you can probably recover 85% of their value in near mint condition. Camera bodies not so much, but I imagine the 5DmII market will stay pretty hot for a few years and hopefully you will never have to part with any of it.

-Shea

P.S. Items selling to fund D5mII:
Vintage '67 Vox guitar
Roland Midi guitar & Amp
Sony VX100 camcorder
Near Mint 40D with kit lens
Tripods, neighbors kids, it all must go!

If you have any other EF (not EFS) lenses to round out your ranges then great, if not I'm sure you will enjoy that 70-200 and can save up the the 24-70 f/2.8 (non IS) or 24-105 f/4 IS.

Of course I've already pointed out the you can get the $1,100 - $1,200 24-70 for $800 if you kit it, but of course you (WE) are looking at $5K plus tax for that dream rig. Also some spendy 77mm filters are in order, a few memory cards, extra battery, battery grip? Etc..

Remember to keep all lens packaging and receipts (wc depending on state) so if you find yourself needing some cash 6 months or a year from now, you can probably recover 85% of their value in near mint condition. Camera bodies not so much, but I imagine the 5DmII market will stay pretty hot for a few years and hopefully you will never have to part with any of it.

-Shea

Vintage '67 Vox guitar
Roland Midi guitar & Amp
Sony VX100 camcorder

X2 on the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. What an amazing lens! If I could keep only one of my lenses, that would be it.

If you're going to spend some $2600 or whatnot on a nice body, don't buy a crappy piece of glass. Depending on you're needs, get an IS L Lens for sure. Whatever your mm needs may be, just dont spend like $500 on bad glass with a nice camera.

+1 .. seriously L class lenses for the 5D + 5D II !!!!

I recommend the 24-70 f2.8 L and 70-200 f2.8 L IS ..

excellent lenses....

hmm for wildlife a 70-200mm f2.8 IS is too short.
HOWEVER
get yourself a 1.4 and a 2* teleconverter from canon (I think they call them extenders - just to be confusing). My 1.4TC almost lives with my 70-200mm and increases the focal length by 1.4times - getting it to a 98-280mm lens which I find a good focal range in zoos and wildlife parks where I can get closer to the animals. A 2* teleconverter will give you more reducion in quality, but with a 5DM2 it should be able to still give very good results and will then give you a 180-400mm lens - which will give you the range you need for true wildlife.

After that its your budget and intersets which will define what you need after that - you might look to the L prime lenses - 300mm, 400mm and 500mm in canon for big improvments in quality at those focal ranges over the 70-200mm zoom

wow im not saying that lens was good please dont take that i gave like 30 bucks for it thats y i picked it up if nothing else its just something to toy with.....so please dont misconstrue what im trying to say.....so whats better then 1 1500 lens or 2 750 lenses? i mean at the end of the day im not making money off this...but who knows one day i might

Lens price doesn't always matter, just construction. 70-300 focal range lenses are usually pretty poor quality in comparison to other high end lenses out there.

A good setup:
17-40 f/4L - $400ish used and a great wide angle
70-200 f/4L - $500ish used and a very sharp lens
24-70 f/2.8L - $900ish Used.

L lenses are usually great, but as you can see, they're expensive. The 70-200 f/2.8L IS that everyone is raving about is indeed a superb lens, but the 70-200 f/4 is considered a little bit sharper. The price is better but then again you don't have the max aperture of f/2.8 and you're losing out on IS.

-Shea

Vintage '67 Vox guitar
Roland Midi guitar & Amp
Sony VX100 camcorder

I actually just transfered $970 from my paypal account for a Hughes & Kettner triamp I sold to help fund the MKII.

Lens price doesn't always matter, just construction. 70-300 focal range lenses are usually pretty poor quality in comparison to other high end lenses out there.

A good setup:
17-40 f/4L - $400ish used and a great wide angle
70-200 f/4L - $500ish used and a very sharp lens
24-70 f/2.8L - $900ish Used.

L lenses are usually great, but as you can see, they're expensive. The 70-200 f/2.8L IS that everyone is raving about is indeed a superb lens, but the 70-200 f/4 is considered a little bit sharper. The price is better but then again you don't have the max aperture of f/2.8 and you're losing out on IS.

True the f4 version of the 70-200mm is a very sharp lens and though it is slightly sharper remember we are really nitpicking here and in the field the difference is hardly noticable.
The reason I say go for the f2.8 edition is because of its ability to take a 2* teleconverter and retain auto focus - the f4 will lose auto focuse with a 2* teleconverter.

Most reactions

Back