Going to Italy I need advice and help!

Ok, well forgive me for pointing out the irony here - but I'm not terribly inclined to spend my hard earned money to support a college student who apparently couldn't read the terms of service of the forum which clearly state that postings such as this one soliciting donations through a third party site are verboten, or in the Italian, interdit - or if needed the English translation, forbidden.

Dangit! I thought this was a "real" thread where the OP was going to ask questions about safe travels for gear, Italian photo laws, ect, since I too am going to Italy this year and have been wondering if its "safe" to take my cam with me. I really want some artsy shots but I'm not sure if taking the 5DM3 along will be worth it if I just gets highjacked by thrives or I drop it in the canal. Has anyone taken their gear across the sea and it all turn out fine and well? Also, does anyone know anything about Italian photo laws? Will I have some little old lady screaming at me to delete the pictures I took of her garden?
Figured I'd make this thread useful :)

Dangit! I thought this was a "real" thread where the OP was going to ask questions about safe travels for gear, Italian photo laws, ect, since I too am going to Italy this year and have been wondering if its "safe" to take my cam with me. I really want some artsy shots but I'm not sure if taking the 5DM3 along will be worth it if I just gets highjacked by thrives or I drop it in the canal. Has anyone taken their gear across the sea and it all turn out fine and well? Also, does anyone know anything about Italian photo laws? Will I have some little old lady screaming at me to delete the pictures I took of her garden?

Italy is one of the safest countries on the planet and the Italian people are very friendly, curious and accommodating to your needs. I go there once or twice a year. Thieves in Rome are an occasional problem but violent crime is rare. Where are you going? I go where my markets are, so some areas I know intimately, some not at all. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have or show you images from where you may go if I have them. Not bringing a camera seems impossible to me. And that little old lady is more likely to offer you a flower or tomato from her garden than to scream at you. I know her.

I really want some artsy shots but I'm not sure if taking the 5DM3 along will be worth it if I just gets highjacked by thrives or I drop it in the canal. Has anyone taken their gear across the sea and it all turn out fine and well?

Yes, it went surprisingly well. I too was concerned about being "from out of town" but just use some common sense. i.e. when you stop at a sidewalk cafe, keep all your belongings close and don't turn away for a long time. Keep the strap around your neck when leaning over any guard rail. You can carry your gear (assuming not a lot) on board the plane. Don't leave your bag unattended. I would take a monopod rather than a tripod because many public places (museums) don't allow tripods.

Actually she was asking for donations and linked a website so we could help pay for the trip, I'm guessing that part was edited out later.. lol

Ok, well forgive me for pointing out the irony here - but I'm not terribly inclined to spend my hard earned money to support a college student who apparently couldn't read the terms of service of the forum which clearly state that postings such as this one soliciting donations through a third party site are verboten, or in the Italian, interdit - or if needed the English translation, forbidden.

Ironically, I *am* using my hard-earned money to fund the overseas travel of a college student who hasn't read the terms of service of the forum. But since he's my son, I'm willing to let his lack of participation on the forum slide…although, I'm thinking I *might* try to get him to start one of these online fundraising campaigns to let perfect strangers pay your way to all the things you want to do with your life! Depending on how it goes, I may be posting a link for you all to help fund my next cruise… :lmao:
(Clarification: The OP is NOT my son. I have no relationship to, nor affiliation with, the OP. Just want to be clear about that. Just being humorous here (although my son really IS hoping to do a Travel Abroad trip next summer, and I really am trying to help him raise funds. We just tend to do it the old-fashioned way, by making him WORK for it...)

Well, hey, might as well attempt to make something worthwhile out of this thread! I just took my gear with me on a trip to the Caribbean. I'd been to the specific locations we sailed to before, so I did have some idea of what to expect. At Half Moon Cay, I was completely comfortable taking my D7000 and my BIG Sigma 150-500 birding lens with me off the ship, and even taking a little hike along the nature trail by myself, because I knew it was about as safe as it would be to do so here at home. In Nassau, I was a little more careful--I did NOT take the birding lens with me into Nassau (which I kinda regretted later, when two Kestrels landed in a tree about 50 feet from me, and then one flew down into the grass less than 25 feet away and just stood there looking at us! I took a picture…with my 50mm f/1.8. :lol:
Instead, I took the D7000 with my 50mm f/1.8. I also took a 28mm lens and my 18-55mm kit lens, neither of which would have been a great loss had something happened to them. Instead of carrying my LowePro bag, I put everything in a smaller, regular type backpack that I was carrying anyway, so it didn't scream "Get your camera gear HERE!"

I also took my D5100 along on the trip, but left it on the ship. It was just for emergencies, so that if something HAD happened to the D7000 (theft or accident) I would still have had a camera to shoot with.

And, I made sure and added worldwide coverage to my insurance policy so that in the worst-case scenario, I wouldn't be permanently bereft of my equipment.

Ironically, I *am* using my hard-earned money to fund the overseas travel of a college student who hasn't read the terms of service of the forum. But since he's my son, I'm willing to let his lack of participation on the forum slide…although, I'm thinking I *might* try to get him to start one of these online fundraising campaigns to let perfect strangers pay your way to all the things you want to do with your life! Depending on how it goes, I may be posting a link for you all to help fund my next cruise… :lmao:
(Clarification: The OP is NOT my son. I have no relationship to, nor affiliation with, the OP. Just want to be clear about that. Just being humorous here (although my son really IS hoping to do a Travel Abroad trip next summer, and I really am trying to help him raise funds. We just tend to do it the old-fashioned way, by making him WORK for it...)

Your willing to let your son's lack of participation here.. slide?!?!? Good lord woman, do you not even own a frying pan? Cast iron skillet would be preferable of course but even just your basic frying pan would do in a pinch. If not, then that is something I'd be willing to throw a couple of bucks in to buy you one. Now that's a worthy cause.. lol

Your willing to let your son's lack of participation here.. slide?!?!? Good lord woman, do you not even own a frying pan? Cast iron skillet would be preferable of course but even just your basic frying pan would do in a pinch. If not, then that is something I'd be willing to throw a couple of bucks in to buy you one. Now that's a worthy cause.. lol

Well, the TRUTH is, I don't really WANT him active on TPF…because then I'd have to be MUCH more careful about what I say! :lmao:

Well, the TRUTH is, I don't really WANT him active on TPF…because then I'd have to be MUCH more careful about what I say! :lmao:

Rotfl.. same reason that my teenager doesn't have an account here either.. lol

Italy is one of the safest countries on the planet and the Italian people are very friendly, curious and accommodating to your needs. I go there once or twice a year. Thieves in Rome are an occasional problem but violent crime is rare. Where are you going? I go where my markets are, so some areas I know intimately, some not at all. I'll be glad to answer any questions you may have or show you images from where you may go if I have them. Not bringing a camera seems impossible to me. And that little old lady is more likely to offer you a flower or tomato from her garden than to scream at you. I know her.

That makes me feel much better! I'll be making it an adventure by seeing: Florence, Rome, Venice, Piza (if that's how you spell it) and I would also like to visit a coastal city more locally inhabited to get a real raw feel for the country, just not sure which coastal city I should be going to for safety sake (and beautiful view sake) so if you have any recommendations please let me know! I plan on staying overseas for about 10-14 days.

Actually she was asking for donations and linked a website so we could help pay for the trip, I'm guessing that part was edited out later.. lol

I assumed as much from the comments lol, I feel like it would be different if she was an active member and had a history here, but it looks like she literally started an account just to post up her donation link... Not cool!

Also, to everyone else, thanks for answering my questions as I derailed the thread lol. I would respond to each personally in one post but my stupid phone is only enabling me to "reply with a quote" for one post at a time.

Most reactions

Back