Going to NYC tomorrow (5-26)

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

I'm going to NYC tomorrow, and was wondering if there were any photo shops I should to go to find decent prices. I'm looking for a larger bag, a nice monopod, a used Canon 70-200 f/4, and a Sigma 10-20 f/4.5-5.6, if it matters.

Obviously the BH store, but are there any other smaller places that I could find a good deal at?

Adorama has shop on 18th St between 5th and 6th.

If you come in by train, you will be at Penn station and can walk around the block to BH (30th & 9thAve) and then take bus downtown to 18th St. There are loads of camera shops - 42nd st phot, etc. My guess is that best variety is at BH and Adorama.

Shipping is often cheaper than sales tax. So, if you ship, deal with someone reputable and pay with CC so you have recourse.

Oops, I forgot to check this thread this morning. Anyway, I went to BH and was VERY disappointed. Not only was it completely PACKED, but the staff was excessively rude, especially in the Used Department. Pathetic.

We just started walking around and went in some other shops I passed. They were trying to sell lenses like a Canon 28-105 f/4.5-5.6 for $800!!! And a 50mm f/1.8 II for $300! How much was the Sigma 28-70 f/2.8? $900! And this was at three different shops. I didn't think to pull the 28-105 f/3.5-3.5 off my camera and try to sell or trade it... Will they sometimes do that?

Anyway, I will be going back in a few weeks and will surely check out the above-listed shops.

Thanks a bunch.

Not only was it completely PACKED, but the staff was excessively rude, especially in the Used Department.
Welcome to Manhattan :lol:

Actually sorry you had a bad experience at B&H. When dealing with the big places I found it is best to have researched what you want and know the internet price for it. I never go to B&H without the stock #'s for what I want but that is a little extreme. Browsing can be difficult there. Generally in Manhattan things are expensive, part of which is due to the high cost of doing business there and a lot of the best shopping is upscale. On the other hand if you know what you want and where to find it then some awesome deals are to be had. I have used Adorama and 17th St. Photo in the past but neither has a good showroom IMHO.

You may find this thread of interest:

Photographic Shop in NYC ????

Most reactions

Back