Golden Sunset on Fresh Snow Pinawa, Manitoba

dllb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Overnight, on the day of the hoarfrost, a snow storm went through and dropped about 14 inches of snow on southern Manitoba. While inconvenient for a little while (Manitoban's are not fazed by these - they are a hearty bunch) it did provide a wonderful opportunity later that day as the sun set and cast a golden glow on the snow. As the time went by, the colours got more and more golden. It really wasn't cold at all and it took over 3/4 of an hour to get all the pictures that I wanted to.

There were many snowmobilers around and they just added to the setting.

P1011384-2a.jpg

P1011366-2.jpg

Looking south. This is the same island in the hoarfrost series.

P1011388-2.jpg

P1011374-2.jpg

Looking southeast I managed to get a few kids on a snowmobile. They were really moving fast.

P1011398-1.jpg

Looking back west again

P1011367-1.jpg

They go at a good speed as they go along the river.

P1011368-1.jpg

This is the walk along the river to the Pinawa Sailing and Rowing club, but needless to say, not much happening now

P1011372-2.jpg

Looking east and still, that golden glow

P1011374-2.jpg

Looking back to the west

P1011377-2.jpg

P1011396-2.jpg

P1011389-2.jpg

P1011379-1.jpg

As the sun got lower in the sky, the golden tones seemed to get more intense

P1011392-2.jpg

One more series to come - brilliant sunshine and shadows on freshly fallen snow.

Beautiful series. I like snow. Just not over a foot at a time. Thanks for sharing.

Nice series, I like the backlit ones with the silhouettes of the trees and their shadows on the golden snow.

yeah, those shots looking into the sun are amazing. the colors and "ambiance" as shelley mentioned are awesome. the sun is a little too centered in #1 for my taste, much better in the 2nd, off-centered and getting a little more angle on the shadows. :thumbup:

Feeling a little awestruck... since I am a devout snowmobiler... without any snow... might be about time to move up north eh? =)

Nice shots though... this season if we get any more snow we plan on taking our gear with us on a couple rides... thanks for some inspiration!

Nice shots! I love the shadows in these.

Hint: Number your photos, so we can more easily critique! :)

Wow,you have done a great job in capturing the golden light.:thumbup: These photos have inspired me to get out and try for myslf.

Most reactions

Back