Golf Tournament

Do'Urden's Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So iw as asked literally 5 minutes ago if i wanted to shoot my company's golf tournament this year. I hastily accepted and just got to thinking now that i might need to rent a more diverse lens. i was thinking the 70-200mm F/4 IS as i was thinking of buying this lens some time in the future anyways. i wanted to hear your 'professional' opinion, because i was basically just thinking that i could probably get away with sticking a polarizer on my 100mm macro and just shoot away. but because golf courses are generally pretty big and because its a prime id have to do alot of running around framing shots.

Any helpful suggestions or tips on how to go about shooting this event would be greatly appreciated also!

Thanks alot guys...

If you're going to rent, the 70-200 f/2.8 would be better. Unless the golf tournament is at night, you shouldn't need IS.

The other problem you may have is reach. The 70-200 really isn't that long. Maybe rent the 1.4x teleconverter and that'll get you a little better reach and you'll only be losing one stop to the TC.

I've heard the Canon TC's are pretty good as far as IQ goes.

For a company golf tournament, I can't see you needing a telephoto that much. Pro golf shooting might need a long lens, because you aren't allowed to out of the spectator area and not allowed to approach the golfers. I'm guessing that this will be a lot more casual.

Besides, do you really want a shot of 'Joe from Accounting' hitting a 7 iron in the fairway? I'm would think that a better shot would be a group shot of the foursome with the course in the background.

So should i be alright then with my 100mm macro? i mean i DO have the previlage of walking with alot of the guys and not just sitting on the sidelines so...

Village idiot, i was thinking of renting the F4 IS because its probably cheaper to rent because its about 500+ less here in Canada but itll probably be easier to find a 2.8 to rent because its a more popular lens...

so im basically going to get paid to work a regular day that day... should i ask for more money to do this. i feel like that would be a bit much at this point because theyve sort of given me a chance here...

so im basically going to get paid to work a regular day that day... should i ask for more money to do this. i feel like that would be a bit much at this point because theyve sort of given me a chance here...

I just did this a while back for my company with my 70-300 and I used every bit of that 300MM because I was running around trying to get 6 teams of people on various holes. I would set up a few holes in front and then shoot people as they were coming up to the hole I was at so that I could get far distance group shots and then close ups for individuals that might want a shot of themselves swinging.

I didn't charge a dime for anything. I had a great time, they rented a golf cart and for the organizer and me and we drove around all day and had a great time having drinks (I only bought one, everyone else took care of my others) and taking pictures. I felt it wasn't anything I was really experienced at (sport photography) so it was experience for me and they got much better pics than if they just used some of the P&S pics that people took.

Good luck and have fun :)

do you guys think ill be ok with the kit 75-300mm, i dont really like the images it takes thats the reason i was going to rent the 70-200mm. i think ill just rent that one just to play around with it for a couple days anyways. thanks alot for the input guys!

Lyncca, thats a good idea i think ill use that one. ill have to start writting these ideas down and use them all that day. its not until july 18 so i have time to think about this stuff.

I don't know about a 75-300 kit lens (never heard of it), but if it is the same lens i have, it really does have weakness at 300mm as far as sharpness to my eye and any other true photographer, but, it was the best I had and I had nothing but compliments from people there that didn't know any different, which was again why I wasn't paid. If I had the 70-200 2.8, I would have charged. ;)

Use the long lenses, on top of what Lyncca said about getting multiple groupings on various fairways, there is the element of distraction that your coworkers may not have antisipated and might prove irritating to them and impede on their preformance, fiendly turmoment or not. Stay as far from the individuals playing as possible so as to allow them to play the game as they would naturally. This way your camera won't disrupt their swing nor are they going to feel the need to be a ham if you are two fairways over.

Well my lens doesnt have any form of image stabalization like yours does. I guess i dont really need it though during the day outdoors. im just kind of nervous using it because i know the IQ wont be up to my standards. that being said, who knows, it might be up to my company's standards! and it will have a bit more reach than if i rent the 70-200mm.

Battou, thats a point i never would have though about thanks alot!

Just an update here: unfortunately because im young i think they under estimated my ability to frame nice shots of my choice and for most of the day im going to be forced to take generic group photos and single tee offs. but after that i am free to roam and shoot what ever the f*ck i want! im actually pretty excited about this now. ill post some pictures after i finish processing them next week.

Most reactions

Back