Good beginner SLR?

ywrr19

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I am new to this forum and hope to gather lots of new information from spending time here. I have been taking photos with a Canon SX110 IS. It is a really nice point and shoot and I can do a few different things with it but I am ready to start looking around and moving up. My question is what would you recommend for a beginners SLR who is on a budget. I would like to stick with Canon because I have become quite fond of their equipment. Thanks for any help or recommendations!

Matt

a nikon D40 or d40x is not bad. it was my first slr camera.

Really depends on your budget. The Canon rebel series are great beginner dSLRs. You can probably pick up a used T1i or XSi for relatively cheap. If you can afford it, you can go for a new T2i. If you're set on sticking with Canon I would definitely recommend starting out with a rebel.

What kind of budget are you working with?

I too would suggest a Rebel series camera to start with - new or used, depending on budget (don't forget to save some of the budget for a decent lens or two).

Thanks for the help. I went and looked around it looks like the Canon Rebel Series will fit my needs pretty well. Now up to me to look around at the different cameras in the series and pick one that works best. Thanks for the recommendations!

Thanks for the help. I went and looked around it looks like the Canon Rebel Series will fit my needs pretty well. Now up to me to look around at the different cameras in the series and pick one that works best. Thanks for the recommendations!
Nikon makes nice entry-level cameas too and has recently been introducing some new models that compete with Canon's Rebels, you might also want to consider: The Nikon D3100, D5000, and the best selling Nikon ever the D90.

The older entry-level cameas those replaced are the D40/D40x/D3000/D60.

If you haven't purchased you Rebel yet - Costco has a great offer on the T1i and T2i incl 2 lenses!
I just got into photography myself, ordered a Panasonic G1, fell in love with it and realized that not all modes work right... Booh! Had to send it back and will get the Rebel T1i now... Excited!!!
Oh, at Costco the Rebel T1i with 18-55mm and 55-250mm runs $749, the Rebel t2i between $899 and $1299 depending which 2-lens combo you choose...

What's wrong with film bodies?

IMO a cheap film body will be a lot better then a point-and-shoot [Provided you have decent film stock and glass to back it up] and are a great way to get into the world of SLR's, no need to blow +800$ just to get started.
Get a cheap film body, they cost around maybe $15 at most for good ones, get a nifty fifty for about 100$ and some good film stock, and you're all set. Welcome to the world of photography.

Last edited:
Minolta srt-201. Its an slr built like a tank.You can get one on ebay for about $40.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back